Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Pumpkin Ginger Cake with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing

Pumpkin Ginger Cake
Ingredients:
3 1/2 C all purpose flour, sifted
2 C sugar
1 C butter, softened
1/2 C light molasses (regular works good as well)
1/3 C milk (whole milk or evap milk works best)
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
4 large eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

1 tsp ground cinnamon (I usually add a little extra since I love spices)
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (what the original recipe called for, but I add a little extra)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice (what the original recipe called for, but I add a little extra)
* alternatively, you can use 4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice instead of all of the above spices...whatever suits your taste!

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F, and prepare your pans (grease with shortening and flour or use your favourite baking spray, I like pam for baking)
2. Sift all dry ingredients together
3. In a large bowl, beat ALL ingredients with electric mixer on low until just incorporated (about a minute)
4. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
5. Pour batter into pans, bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean

Makes enough for a 9x13 cake or two 8 or 9 inch rounds.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing
1 8 oz package of cream cheese (full fat tastes best, but the 1/3 less fat one works okay as well), at room temperature.
1/4 lb sweet cream salted butter (1 stick),softened.
4-6 C confectioner's sugar
Heavy whipping cream
1/4-1/3 C brown sugar, in the raw
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon (to your taste)
1 tsp cinnamon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
2. Add 2 cups of confectioners sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp cinnamon extract and 1 tsp of vanilla. Mix on low until all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Add remaining 2 cups of confectioners sugar and mix on low until incorporated.
4. If taste/consistency is to your liking, proceed with step 5, otherwise, continue to add more confectioner's sugar until the taste/consistency is to your liking. If the consistency is too stiff, use heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp at a time until it suits your preferance.
5. Fold in brown sugar and additional cinnamon if desired. Start with 1/4 cup first, if not enough "crunch", then add a little more.

For both the recipes, just start with the smallest amount of spice. We island people really love our spices, so I'm a little heavy handed with it, so just taste away - its all about preferences. Both recipes are super easy, so I'd love to hear what you think about it!

Sunny Smiles from the Cayman Isles!
~ Faith

Views: 269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much for this recipe. I will try it for Thanks Giving. I see you did not use the self rise, why?

I made the vanilla cupcake recipe to9 makee a birthday cake. I made 2 batch for an half sheet cake pan, or if you have a better one just for a cake. Your Vanilla is a wow factor with my friends and family. I did it for my grand mother's funeral this past saturday, and people was raving about it.

Thank you again.

Love, Bake, and a Cup a Cake

I found a recipe similar to this online and gave it a try and started to tweak it to make it my own, and this is what I came up with.  I only use self raising flour with my vanilla cupcake recipe and with my cornbread :).  I use all purpose flour for most of my other cakes. Self raising has the baking powder and salt already added, so it's great for simple recipes like my cupcake recipe. 

Hope you enjoy this one :).  I've made it into cupcakes once and people enjoyed it but I mostly just bake it as a cake.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service