Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Was looking at getting a printer for doing edible pictures.  Not too sure what printer to buy.  If anyone has a printer or any comments to help  make my decision more informative it would be appreciated.  I have looked around but I am still undecided. 

Views: 3698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would definitely recommend a Canon over Epsons. The main reason is that the Canon has a removable printhead so if you do get a nasty clog, you can remove the printhead and clean it rather then throwing the printer away and starting over as you would with an Epson.  I prefer the Canon MG5220 which is featured in our Elite Standalone system.  It has a scanner and a printer all in one unit.  It also is compatable with our Sponge free cartridges.  These are a newer type of cartridge which is preferred for many reasons.  First, without the sponge, there is more edible ink since the sponge is not taking up 2/3'rds of the space in the cartridge.  SInce there is no sponge, there is no reason to put alcohol in the ink so that the sponge does not collect bacteria.  Without the alcohol, there is less printhead burn out that you will find in sponged cartridges.  Plus the cartridges can be refilled directly in the printer saving time, money and mess.  The cartridges/ink is made in the US and Kosher.  Finally, the ink works as a great compliment to the Premium Icing Sheets which are the preferred sheet among top decorators.  It is a much more flexible sheet and gives you the largest printable surface in the industry.  Please let me know if you have any questions, I will be glad to assist you in any way possible.

I agree, dont by an Epson. I have one. I've called the company, and there is no way to remove the print heads to clean them. So, therefore, I have a 400.00 machine that is just sitting and collecting dust. I'm so frustrated about it. I was told that if you dont use the machine alot and let it sit, it clogs up. What a waste!!! I've contemplated buying a Canon. Someone else had told me that they bought a Canon printer, but use edible ink in it. It seems to work for them. I dont know when I will invest in another edible printer. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.  I have read on alot of sites that the Epson printers are not good, so I will definitely

stay away from them.  I looked at the Canon MG5220 and it looks like a pretty good machine.  Is the set up    easy and just a simple setup for the edible pictures?  Does the Canon MG5220 use the 5 color cartridge? Magenta, yellow and cyan and 2 black? What is your opinion on the Canon ip3600 printer?

Thank you again for your advice on the printer.  I am looking at getting one soon.

Do you have any comments on the Cricut machines? They look like they could really save some time

decorating cakes.

I am going to go with a Canon definitely, just not too sure which model yet.  I will keep you updated to which

printer I purchase and how it works.  If you are looking at getting another printer, you may check out

ebay cause you can get a brand new printer cheap and under $100.  Can't hurt to look if you really

like using the edible pictures.

Check out the Cricut machines they look very interesting and a time saver when it comes to decorating cakes.

Thanks for advising me about the Epson printers.

Well Karen
I bought the Circut Black Friday deal. The machine, tax, duty, exchange/US/CAN & dilivery} $89.00.
You can't beat that. Worse comes to worse, it becomes an expensive toy!!
I found several good tutorials on how to use. Seems it can be finicky, & takes some time to learn, but all cake decorating techniques take time to learn and master. Heck, learning new cooking techniques take time & patience. I got a new Induction stove 6 mnths ago, and this is a whole new way to cook. I am still learning.

My husband is getting the Cricut machine for Christmas,  yahh me!!!

My husband and I went on a mission just today to see what was available and how much things cost for one. Number one, no one in our area carries any edible ink, so now I know I would have to purchase on line for that, and number 2, there are very limited brands of icing sheets available too, so I think I would have to purchase those on line too. So, now I don't know if it would be cost effective for me to purchase one. Anyone know how much a total package would be? Printer, icing sheets, and ink? I found out nothing today, and feel kind of defeated over the whole thing. Also, I don't know just how often I would actually use it, so sitting unused, will it ruin the machine?

Both Michael's and Golda's kitchen carry frosting sheets. One is right in this city, another 20 min away.  I can always go over to Niagara Falls, USA to the Michael's their as well which has more extensive line of cricut accessories.

I guess I didn't clarify my first post. As I read down, it looks like I was talking about the Cricket and I meant for the edible images and a printer with ink. Also, what seems to be the going rate that others are paying for an edible image purchased from a bakery. I have two different prices that I have gotten from the same grocery store name, but just different places in our town. One charges $10.00 for an image that you bring the picture in and the other one charges $8.00.

Linda Wolff said:

My husband and I went on a mission just today to see what was available and how much things cost for one. Number one, no one in our area carries any edible ink, so now I know I would have to purchase on line for that, and number 2, there are very limited brands of icing sheets available too, so I think I would have to purchase those on line too. So, now I don't know if it would be cost effective for me to purchase one. Anyone know how much a total package would be? Printer, icing sheets, and ink? I found out nothing today, and feel kind of defeated over the whole thing. Also, I don't know just how often I would actually use it, so sitting unused, will it ruin the machine?

Linda I am in Boston Ma and I buy my edible pictures from Shaws Market it is $6.99 also Stop & Shop is $6.99 . So I found that that is the going price here.As much as I would use the machine would not cover the price. So I will just keep going to the Market. Good Luck.

Linda Wolff said:

I guess I didn't clarify my first post. As I read down, it looks like I was talking about the Cricket and I meant for the edible images and a printer with ink. Also, what seems to be the going rate that others are paying for an edible image purchased from a bakery. I have two different prices that I have gotten from the same grocery store name, but just different places in our town. One charges $10.00 for an image that you bring the picture in and the other one charges $8.00.

Linda Wolff said:

Where I live in Canada, my local grocery store runs around $9.00. But I just got info from a local Canadian cake club I belong to that  there is a place about 20 min from me you can either go there, or email your image, she mails to you, or u pick up. Says she charges $6.00?  I don't often use a edible image, so not a big deal for me.

Patricia, I have been thinking the same thing. I don't get a request very often for one, so I am really wondering if I would use the printer/icing sheets that often. I don't want to purchase something like I did my Cricket machine, and then just have it sitting collecting dust.

Patricia Soto said:

Linda I am in Boston Ma and I buy my edible pictures from Shaws Market it is $6.99 also Stop & Shop is $6.99 . So I found that that is the going price here.As much as I would use the machine would not cover the price. So I will just keep going to the Market. Good Luck.

Linda Wolff said:

Linda Wolff said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service