Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I want to use cream cheese frosting to pipe onto a cake, but my frosting is not firm enough to hold it's shape.  It's OK just to torte and cover with it, but nothing else.  I have tried adding some royal icing to it and put it in the fridge over night to see if that helps.  If it doesn't does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can add to it to firm it up to piping consistency?  I don't want to add any more icing sugar as it's just going to get way too sweet.

Thanks for any suggestions (particularly if you know they work!).

Views: 2896

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok Katy

Good luck!!!!   :o)

lol thanks June - what's the betting I just end up doing the 'grunge' look!

Hey

I love the "shabby chic" type bc icing. I always think it gives the cake more interest. Sometimes perfectly smooth bc cakes are Booooring.  :o)

I like that 'spackled' look...kind of choppy looking all over.

Well - we'll find out soon enough.  Woke up this morning with a headache and chronic stomach acid - really don't fee like doing anything, let alone finish 2 cakes and do dinner for 12..........

I couldn't fall asleep until 6:30am because I didn't feel good either, Katy! My stomach was a mess and my head ached and I just could not fall asleep! I finally got 2-1/2 hours of sleep, but George started some yard work outside and it woke me up. Soooo, I'm sure that I'll be nodding off this afternoon...

Katy Nott said:

Well - we'll find out soon enough.  Woke up this morning with a headache and chronic stomach acid - really don't fee like doing anything, let alone finish 2 cakes and do dinner for 12..........

Me 3. I also woke up with upset stomach. Went to sleep at 2pm, got up @ 8 am. :o(

Well, for what it's worth, they're done.  I think they reflect my mood, sadly.  Both wonky (blaming my partial eyesight for that, combined with the remnants of the headache).  The blue icing was firm enough, but had air bubbles in it.  Green icing was way to runny - oi oi oi.............whatever........

Thank you all for your help and support by the way!

Whenever I have to pipe cream cheese icing I add more powdered sugar - and just a tiny bit of salt - the salt cancels out the sweetness of adding more sugar. Good luck!

Ah, now that's a trick I hadn't thought of Joann (salt that is).  Thanks for the tip.  Too late now, but that will be stored away in my little cubby hole of useful ideas!

I don't just had ordinary salt as is Katy. I grind it with mortal & pestle until  it is very fine. Disappears into the icing, no chance of grit. I also had butter flavoring.   Never thought to mention that.  Thanks to Joann.  :o)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service