Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

So, I had a cake order that was picked up today. They wanted a sheet cake that feeds 45-50 ppl. Based on the research I did, It showed I could use an 11x15 pan, which I did! Well, when they came to pick up the cake, they looked shocked saying it was a lot smaller than they thought.  So now I'm freaking out!!! They told me that normally they get their cakes from Walmart for a function (Military thing) like this one and that the cakes are a lot bigger.  Walmart does a full sheet cake for this many people, I just found out!  Well, they told me 45-50ppl.  So I feel really horrible right now and dropped the price from $65 to $45 (I live in a small town in AR).

Please help! I'm shaking right now cause I am so upset and worried! What did I do wrong??? Should I have used a 12x18 instead??? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Views: 690

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like you need to educate your clients on serving sizes. You might want to mention that during the order process. If they want larger slices of cake they will need to order a larger cake.

Some people send a cutting chart with their cakes. This might help also.
Well I did that the last time they ordered a cake from me (the large round coin/farewell cake). I had to explain it to her that you don't cut into it like a pie. I even printed a cutting chart for her! I guess I assumed she understood. The base has many functions and most of the time they buy the cakes from Walmart. I know I cannot compare my cakes to walmarts, but I suppose they were just used to the large cakes they get from there and when they saw mine (how small it was) they were shocked! Had I known this would be an issue ( bigger size of each serving they want) I would have went larger! Man, I cannot help feeling so horrible right now (it's my anxiety and People-pleaser personality)... It's driving me crazy! Aaaaaand.... they didn't pay me yet! It's someone I work with, so I'm just going to give her a friendly reminder that she needs to pay me. Why are ppl so dang sneaky like that??? Thank you Deah, I'm venting!

Deah Aldridge said:
Sounds like you need to educate your clients on serving sizes. You might want to mention that during the order process. If they want larger slices of cake they will need to order a larger cake.

Some people send a cutting chart with their cakes. This might help also.
Here is the cake I'm freaking out about!

Too small for 45-50 ppl????????

Diana said:

I always tell people the size cake I think they need. Sometimes they tell me to make it bigger. I have one customer who I know likes to serve larger sized cake slices so she always gets more cake. For instance, she just ordered her daughter's bday cake to serve 25 but wants a double layer 9x13.

As for your discount - don't be so quick to discount your work. You are right in that you can't compare yourself to Wal-Mart (I wouldn't want to.) Those big box cakes are nothing special. When you eat a slice it's like air, no density, texture or taste. The cake is only a conveyor or the icing. Your product tastes better and is custom art -- yes, I said art.

And, payment is ALWAYS due at delivery or before. No Pay, No Cake! Since this is repeat business you need to make sure you are consistent each time.

Give your friend a gentle nudge and see what happens. Then, if she doesn't pay up, remind her that you have bills to pay also and you need to get paid for your work. I had someone at work do me this way also. After the first time he always pays in full before I even begin his cake.
I could serve 45 from that easy!

Diana said:
Too small for 45-50 ppl????????

Diana said:

Diana sounds like you are having some issues with your consultations. This is where you get to educate your clients. I am attaching a copy of the form I use when I sit down with a customer. Explain to them that usually custom cake servings are 2"x1" by 4" high for a double layer. If they want bigger servings then they have to order a bigger cake. Sheet cakes are usually served in 2"x2" pieces for a single layer and the standard 2"x1"x4" high for double layer. Also it is important to ask what their budget is BEFORE you quote a price and BEFORE you do any sketching or offer any ideas, You will then know what you are dealing with and can come up with something within their budget and feel good you are making something they will love and you wont lose out of your pocket. I hope this helps you. Oh yes and if they book a cake get them to leave a deposit that is non-refundable after 5 days before the event. They pay the balance when they pick up the cake. That should be on your contract with all the info you get from the worksheet and a sketch of the cake which they initial. Invest in a set of colored pencils and a sketch pad (no you dont need to be an artist) BUT you need to let then know that you understand what they want in a picture. This sounds like alot but you will have TONS less headaches and you wont have to frantically post after every cake you make :D
Karen's Kakes Cake Worksheet.docx
And by the way you can get 70 pieces out of that cake with the standard 1"x2" by 4" high....cut 10 the short end by 7 the long end...no worries...but you have to tell them.
Karen and Deah!!!!!!!! I love you guys!!!!!! :-) Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I feel so much better after reading your replies. I really was freaking out thinking I did something wrong! I sooooooo did not want to disappoint anyone. Karen, thank you for your suggestions and attachment! This helps out a great deal!!! Just to update you guys, I heard back from the lady who ordered the cake from me (she is the wife and active duty member of a guy I work with) and she said it turned out the cake was enough for everyone (duh) and that people loved it and that it tasted great! I again explained the serving size deal to her and said the next time, if they want bigger slices, they would have to order a larger cake and she seemed understanding of that. I ended up getting paid the $65 and she thanked me again! Wheeeew! This was a lesson learned for me, thats for sure!!! Karen, I will have to put together a sheet just like yours! You guys are wonderful!!! Thank you again!

Karen Marie said:
Diana sounds like you are having some issues with your consultations. This is where you get to educate your clients. I am attaching a copy of the form I use when I sit down with a customer. Explain to them that usually custom cake servings are 2"x1" by 4" high for a double layer. If they want bigger servings then they have to order a bigger cake. Sheet cakes are usually served in 2"x2" pieces for a single layer and the standard 2"x1"x4" high for double layer. Also it is important to ask what their budget is BEFORE you quote a price and BEFORE you do any sketching or offer any ideas, You will then know what you are dealing with and can come up with something within their budget and feel good you are making something they will love and you wont lose out of your pocket. I hope this helps you. Oh yes and if they book a cake get them to leave a deposit that is non-refundable after 5 days before the event. They pay the balance when they pick up the cake. That should be on your contract with all the info you get from the worksheet and a sketch of the cake which they initial. Invest in a set of colored pencils and a sketch pad (no you dont need to be an artist) BUT you need to let then know that you understand what they want in a picture. This sounds like alot but you will have TONS less headaches and you wont have to frantically post after every cake you make :D
By the way, It was a two-layer filled cake!

Diana said:
Karen and Deah!!!!!!!! I love you guys!!!!!! :-) Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I feel so much better after reading your replies. I really was freaking out thinking I did something wrong! I sooooooo did not want to disappoint anyone. Karen, thank you for your suggestions and attachment! This helps out a great deal!!! Just to update you guys, I heard back from the lady who ordered the cake from me (she is the wife and active duty member of a guy I work with) and she said it turned out the cake was enough for everyone (duh) and that people loved it and that it tasted great! I again explained the serving size deal to her and said the next time, if they want bigger slices, they would have to order a larger cake and she seemed understanding of that. I ended up getting paid the $65 and she thanked me again! Wheeeew! This was a lesson learned for me, thats for sure!!! Karen, I will have to put together a sheet just like yours! You guys are wonderful!!! Thank you again!

Karen Marie said:
Diane you can use mine...just change the name at the top in your MS Word program then save changes..that is why I gave it to you....and you are so welcome..I am glad things worked out!
Glad to know all worked out well for you! In the event you may need a "cake divider" which pre-marks the cake slices for you after icing, try these: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?productId=1659. I've used them and they work great. HTH!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service