Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi newbies, 

Welcome to Cakes We Bake. Please introduce yourself here.

Views: 8246

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, My name is JJ. I joined the site a couple of weeks ago. I've been in the business for 15 years and bought my own bakery in North Jersey just about a year ago.

I am here to network, share ideas, learn from and help other cake decorators and bakers, and generate excitement about the business.
Hello! My name is Tamara Chapman. I joined about a week or so ago. I have a small home based cake and cupcake business that I started in 2008 while I was stationed in Utah. My family and I currently live in Okinawa, Japan. I'm excited to learn and share ideas.
Hi! I am LeftyJo (nickname). I have been a memeber for a while but have only viewed everyone's lovely work and helpful tips. I really appreciate all of the help given on this site. Thanks so much!
Being Canadian...Eh,...... not sure where in North Jersey you are.But aren't you afarid of Buddy Valastro????? THE Cake Boss.
Ha!! Ha!!
I'm sure, Jersey is a BIG place, and has lots of room for cake shops. It is like someone finding out I am Canadian, and asking,
oh, I have a friend in Vancouver, would you know them? Ah, dah, I'm in Ontario, it is kinda 2-3000 miles away from Vancouver!!
Welcome to Cakes We Bake!!
WHY do people do that? :S Happens to me too. :D

June Kowalczyk said:
Being Canadian...Eh,...... not sure where in North Jersey you are.But aren't you afarid of Buddy Valastro????? THE Cake Boss.
Ha!! Ha!!
I'm sure, Jersey is a BIG place, and has lots of room for cake shops. It is like someone finding out I am Canadian, and asking,
oh, I have a friend in Vancouver, would you know them? Ah, dah, I'm in Ontario, it is kinda 2-3000 miles away from Vancouver!!
Welcome to Cakes We Bake!!
Ah, sorry it is mostly Americans that ask. Especially those from the southern States. They don't seem to know their geography. With the exception of the border States, even though we are your closest neighbour, Americans don't know much about us. We are similar people's, but different in our own unique Canadian way.
Haha yeah, well believe it or not Carlo's is about 45 minutes from my shop which is not a far drive at all when you're spending a couple hundred dollars on a cake, and, believe it or not, I have won more than a few of his customers. I certainly can't compete with the sheer size and fantastic nature of his cakes because I'm just one guy and he's got a huge team and a multi-million dollar facility. I have beat him in repeated taste tests. I hear frequently from customers who wait in line for hours only to be disappointed with the quality of the items they receive. The only people who get actual cakes from Carlo's are the people who care more about how the cake looks than what it tastes like.

People who come to me know that they're going to get the most delicious cake in north jersey and that I'm going to give them a reasonable price, I've hung my hat on that, and still manage to take an order for a cake sculpture a couple times a month. No 10 foot tall transformers made out of rice krispy treats and edible modeling clay, just delicious cake and butter cream made from 100 percent delicious ingredients.

I've called Buddy out a few times but I don't think he noticed- it's kinda like the fly poking the elephant...

Oh and I did a cake sculpture in Vancouver, BC a couple years back for my sister in law, maybe you know her lol... Ooh send me some nanimo bars! My brother was making them for a while but he got too busy with cup-cakes...

Not surprised about Carlo's bakery. You know, sometimes the bigger you are, the quality is not the same. You see this in large corporate food too. Biggger is not always better. We had a fabulous bakery near where I grew up. OMG legiondary. A Italian family run business. They joined with another larger more corporate bakery, and.......well you guessed it. Taste & quality went right out the window, they wanted to make $$$$$$. The only good thing left was the great Italian bread. The bread maker there made sure of that. Funny, he made the best Scottish baps, ever. My Mom was Scottish, and my first boss was Scottish, and they both swore by them. I imagine he is long gone now. Doesn't matter, they got bought out.

I actually prefer to watch Ace Of Cakes cause in my humble opinion, Duff, & his crew are much more talanted. And I have actually learned a little bit from that show.  And I tape Cake Boss so I can fast forward through the crappy parts, like when he complains

"I don't know how I'm gonna manage all this/get it done".  Duh, you have 10 million employees, don't think it will be a problem Buddy.   He is a character, and that is what they want for TV.  My son-in-law is a videographer, and has filmed tons of "reality" TV.  ( Kenny vs Spenny  ck it out on Bravo ) And they like the drama, the yelling.  I ,like that, the fly poking the elephant.  Good description, and I am sure so very true.

Me....just show me the cake.  Don't like the Cake Wars, Cupcake Wars, cause can't stand all the negative critisim.  But that is made for TV too. Ratings, ratings, ratings.  Do like Fabulous Cakes tho, lots to learn there.

Being a hobby baker, would love to try so many techniques.  But some of the hardware....Circut,cutters,molds, etc., etc become expensive if you can't right them off or you may never use again.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! .............................NAMAIMO BARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't had those in ages!!!!!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I have the receipe...I should just MAKE myself do it.

Speaking of Canada, I don't find Strawberry Rhubarb pie very often down here in the US (maybe never), we could get it almost anywhere in Canada. I bought strawberries and rhubarb just today. So we'll see, never made one before. :)

JJ Becker said:

Haha yeah, well believe it or not Carlo's is about 45 minutes from my shop which is not a far drive at all when you're spending a couple hundred dollars on a cake, and, believe it or not, I have won more than a few of his customers. I certainly can't compete with the sheer size and fantastic nature of his cakes because I'm just one guy and he's got a huge team and a multi-million dollar facility. I have beat him in repeated taste tests. I hear frequently from customers who wait in line for hours only to be disappointed with the quality of the items they receive. The only people who get actual cakes from Carlo's are the people who care more about how the cake looks than what it tastes like.

People who come to me know that they're going to get the most delicious cake in north jersey and that I'm going to give them a reasonable price, I've hung my hat on that, and still manage to take an order for a cake sculpture a couple times a month. No 10 foot tall transformers made out of rice krispy treats and edible modeling clay, just delicious cake and butter cream made from 100 percent delicious ingredients.

I've called Buddy out a few times but I don't think he noticed- it's kinda like the fly poking the elephant...

Oh and I did a cake sculpture in Vancouver, BC a couple years back for my sister in law, maybe you know her lol... Ooh send me some nanimo bars! My brother was making them for a while but he got too busy with cup-cakes...
Hi!! My name is Jaime and I just joined yesterday. I have been decorating for about 8 years and love it. I currently sell out of my home under Michigan's cottage food law. I am self taught and love trying new techniques.
Hi, I'm Rachael! I joined a little while back and just dabble in making cakes.  It definately doesn't put food on the table for me, yet. :)
As for your writing off the supplies you buy (I do taxes in Texas, so I don't know if it goes with Canda the same way or not), you can still write them off if you are a baker out of your kitchen or a giant company.  You just need to add a Schedule C to your tax return to claim the money recieved (you should be doing this any way) and you can write them off on there as well.  Either by a Section 179 taking the whole fee or over 3 or 5 years little by little.  Please ask me if you have any questions!!  I have no problem sharing advice.

June Kowalczyk said:

Not surprised about Carlo's bakery. You know, sometimes the bigger you are, the quality is not the same. You see this in large corporate food too. Biggger is not always better. We had a fabulous bakery near where I grew up. OMG legiondary. A Italian family run business. They joined with another larger more corporate bakery, and.......well you guessed it. Taste & quality went right out the window, they wanted to make $$$$$$. The only good thing left was the great Italian bread. The bread maker there made sure of that. Funny, he made the best Scottish baps, ever. My Mom was Scottish, and my first boss was Scottish, and they both swore by them. I imagine he is long gone now. Doesn't matter, they got bought out.

I actually prefer to watch Ace Of Cakes cause in my humble opinion, Duff, & his crew are much more talanted. And I have actually learned a little bit from that show.  And I tape Cake Boss so I can fast forward through the crappy parts, like when he complains

"I don't know how I'm gonna manage all this/get it done".  Duh, you have 10 million employees, don't think it will be a problem Buddy.   He is a character, and that is what they want for TV.  My son-in-law is a videographer, and has filmed tons of "reality" TV.  ( Kenny vs Spenny  ck it out on Bravo ) And they like the drama, the yelling.  I ,like that, the fly poking the elephant.  Good description, and I am sure so very true.

Me....just show me the cake.  Don't like the Cake Wars, Cupcake Wars, cause can't stand all the negative critisim.  But that is made for TV too. Ratings, ratings, ratings.  Do like Fabulous Cakes tho, lots to learn there.

Being a hobby baker, would love to try so many techniques.  But some of the hardware....Circut,cutters,molds, etc., etc become expensive if you can't right them off or you may never use again.

Hi guys, nice to meet all of you :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service