Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hello all! I am 100% new to baking and decorating cakes! I discovered I loved baking a cake when I made my first sour cream bundt cake with fudge icing..turned out amazing and had fun doing it! I want to take the Wilton cake decorating class in a few weeks. Any input on this if you have taken it? What do you recommend I start off with buying as a beginner? I was looking at all kinds of kits but there are so many. And I am starting to realize this might not be a super cheap hobby, but how much did you put into it when you first started? Well I know it is a lot of questions but I would love anyones input for my new adventure!! Thanks, Erica

Views: 473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, that Wedding cake didn't take to long to put together,  I made all the roses ahead of time, and I actually had my husband making the pearls for me! : -)  I also used my Cricut Cake.

Americolors is a brand name and I get them (most all my supplies) from global sugar art.  Chef Duff colors are Americolors, and his fondant is fondarific. (just in case you wondered) I had a bad experience with Wilton colors.  The black, kept making the prettiest shade of dark aqua, instead of black, but Americolors does not do that.  Fondant is easy to make,  and you can find almost anything on Youtube! :->  I think I have just gotten lazy, and really like fondx, so I keep a lot of that on hand. 

haha, good for you! You found your way to what your heart resonated too^^ It's always heavenly~

Like you, I found my passion for baking when I opened up and baked a Vanilla cake mix my mom brought home. Mom was surprised it turned out good! I was 15. Since then I've been HOOKED! It feels like.......you were MADE for this, doesn't it? Congrats!

Well, I didn't start off with all the money you plan to use for bakery tools.  I just went with the flow and brought home all the things I needed one by one~ 

You don't necessarily NEED all kinds of tools and stuff to start into your baking adventures.  And sometimes, if you buy a Tool Kit, it might be confusing and a little distracting for you to pursue your passion with comfort.

Remember, it's all about the heart, not the tools! You'll get to know what you need one by one.:)  I personally think it's better that way.! Definitely more comfortable. Feels good at the heart.

You might want to consider buying a few cheap books about cake decorating that give you a basic feel about the cake decorating world. You know, terms, decorating processes, secrets on how to get that fondant or buttercream just right, advice on how to ice cakes to get it looking great.

I've never successfully made a perfect ICED cake, to be honest!^^ it's difficult stuff. Takes some coaching and advice to get that cake looking great.

Ermm, a few things you might need are spatulas, Icing imprinters, a definite must-have is a good cake stand,  strong and re-usable piping bags, piping tubes with different patterns, rose petal nail etc etc. Thats all you need at a beginner level.:) 

If you're looking for cheap and valuable books on tips and secrets to decorating that PERFECT cake, I can suggest you one.  It can help you get on with decorating on the right foot.:)

http://63d66732t-ix1qaxf8u1s1st4t.hop.clickbank.net/

Well, Good luck!!:) Glad you found your passion!

ps: Oh! Forgot one thing.....It's all about the fingers.

erica.

i started with buying the basic things like palette knife,primary colors,cake pans and a set of measuring spoons with a scale.gradually bought smoe cutters like the leaf and rose

I did forget one bit of advise and all cake decoraters will agree.. Dont only look for your tools and other things in the cake department. You can lookin the art dept, craft dept and even in Home depo.. You will be amazed how one tool for cakes is also called something else in a nother department and a whole LOT CHEAPER..So again Have Fun and let your mind go wild..So look outside of the box...
Oh Patricia you are so right, Home depot has the best cake supplies!!!!!
Never thought of home depot!! There is one right down the road...I will make that a part of my adventure after Michaels! Thanks!!

Karen Underdahl said:
Oh Patricia you are so right, Home depot has the best cake supplies!!!!!

John-

I love the smell and of course tasting the batter :) The best part is when I watched people eat it and they raved about it! It made my day :) I have always been creative but was not sure how to use it and now I think I know!
What is the name of the book? The link did not work...I did check out baking for dummies at library and waiting for it to be available! Thank you for all of your advice and I like your profile picture...is that a strawberry cake?
John reece said:

haha, good for you! You found your way to what your heart resonated too^^ It's always heavenly~

Like you, I found my passion for baking when I opened up and baked a Vanilla cake mix my mom brought home. Mom was surprised it turned out good! I was 15. Since then I've been HOOKED! It feels like.......you were MADE for this, doesn't it? Congrats!

Well, I didn't start off with all the money you plan to use for bakery tools.  I just went with the flow and brought home all the things I needed one by one~ 

You don't necessarily NEED all kinds of tools and stuff to start into your baking adventures.  And sometimes, if you buy a Tool Kit, it might be confusing and a little distracting for you to pursue your passion with comfort.

Remember, it's all about the heart, not the tools! You'll get to know what you need one by one.:)  I personally think it's better that way.! Definitely more comfortable. Feels good at the heart.

You might want to consider buying a few cheap books about cake decorating that give you a basic feel about the cake decorating world. You know, terms, decorating processes, secrets on how to get that fondant or buttercream just right, advice on how to ice cakes to get it looking great.

I've never successfully made a perfect ICED cake, to be honest!^^ it's difficult stuff. Takes some coaching and advice to get that cake looking great.

Ermm, a few things you might need are spatulas, Icing imprinters, a definite must-have is a good cake stand,  strong and re-usable piping bags, piping tubes with different patterns, rose petal nail etc etc. Thats all you need at a beginner level.:) 

If you're looking for cheap and valuable books on tips and secrets to decorating that PERFECT cake, I can suggest you one.  It can help you get on with decorating on the right foot.:)

http://63d66732t-ix1qaxf8u1s1st4t.hop.clickbank.net/

Well, Good luck!!:) Glad you found your passion!

ps: Oh! Forgot one thing.....It's all about the fingers.

Patricia-

Thanks for the home depot idea!! Never would have thought of that!

Patricia Soto said:

I did forget one bit of advise and all cake decoraters will agree.. Dont only look for your tools and other things in the cake department. You can lookin the art dept, craft dept and even in Home depo.. You will be amazed how one tool for cakes is also called something else in a nother department and a whole LOT CHEAPER..So again Have Fun and let your mind go wild..So look outside of the box...

Slvia-

This might be a stupid question but is the palette knife is what you use to smooth and frost the cake?

sylvia said:

erica.

i started with buying the basic things like palette knife,primary colors,cake pans and a set of measuring spoons with a scale.gradually bought smoe cutters like the leaf and rose

Well the cake is gorgeous! It is good you have your hubby to help!! I saw that Cricuit Cake...does the machine just make imprints on fondant? I saw they had a little red one so cute:) Thanks for the fondant info!!

Karen Underdahl said:

Thank you, that Wedding cake didn't take to long to put together,  I made all the roses ahead of time, and I actually had my husband making the pearls for me! : -)  I also used my Cricut Cake.

Americolors is a brand name and I get them (most all my supplies) from global sugar art.  Chef Duff colors are Americolors, and his fondant is fondarific. (just in case you wondered) I had a bad experience with Wilton colors.  The black, kept making the prettiest shade of dark aqua, instead of black, but Americolors does not do that.  Fondant is easy to make,  and you can find almost anything on Youtube! :->  I think I have just gotten lazy, and really like fondx, so I keep a lot of that on hand. 

I have a hard time with Wiltons colors.I am going to have to try that one.I can never get a true red or black..
Erica K said:
Well the cake is gorgeous! It is good you have your hubby to help!! I saw that Cricuit Cake...does the machine just make imprints on fondant? I saw they had a little red one so cute:) Thanks for the fondant info!!

Karen Underdahl said:

Hi Erica,

I took the Wilton classes, matter of fact I'm taking my last one now, gumpaste flowers.  I'd recommend that you buy the Ultimate Kit.  That way you don't have to buy a new kit for every class.  I took my class at Michaels and I made tremendous use of their coupons.  In fact I never bought any thing without their 50% off or 40% off coupon.  Otherwise the classes could be expensive.  I looked at every purchase as an investment, something that will end up making me more money.  I got the most out of the flowers and cake design class and the gumpaste and fondant class. 

If you are already conversant with buttercream you really don't need that first classes.  What I found that is absolutely fabulous are the instructional DVDs by Sharon Zambito.  If I had bought her Flawless Fondant DVD, I would not have bothered with the fondant class.  (On the other hand since this was the first time I ever took classes, just being able to interact with my classmates was worth taking the class) If you are a perfectionist or appreciate flawless work I would recommend Sharon's DVD.  I just ordered her buttercream one and I am eagerly waiting for the postman:)  I bought several other books and DVDs from other people about gumpaste flowers and I'm having a great time learning.  Just remember to use your coupons and you will keep your cost down.  The Ultimate Kit is $199 at Michaels and I used my 40% off coupon.  It is a great kit.  Well I hope I helped.  If you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to help.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service