Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

GSA got the Buttercream Satin Ice in and I ordered a pail to see what I thougt.... it came today and I opened it up and tasted it... not sure if I like it or not.  Was not blown away by the first bite.  WIll try again... I had just eaten a BBQ Beef Sandwich and that might have had something to do with it. 

Anyone else tried it yet?   Just wondering if it was me... or if it really is better than my first bite.

Views: 2529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let us know when you try it again. I didn't even know they came out with that flavor.
I guess I like my MMF best...it can be flavored anyway you want and alot less expensive too.
I love the flavor of Satin Ice Vanilla. And I just do not have time to make my own so don't mind the expense of purchasing it. When I am doing a wedding cake I don't want the stress of wondering if the fondant will turn out right or not so I am not a fan of making my own... just my own silly preferance :-)
I must have offended you....

jeri c said:
I love the flavor of Satin Ice Vanilla. And I just do not have time to make my own so don't mind the expense of purchasing it. When I am doing a wedding cake I don't want the stress of wondering if the fondant will turn out right or not so I am not a fan of making my own... just my own silly preferance :-)
I'm with you Jeri... I just can't make my own fondant because I go through way too much of it. I find MMF to be too sweet and chewier than regular fondant. I used to make fondant... then I started getting busy and I just couldn't keep up with my demand for it. I use fondant on all of my cakes so I go through a ton.

I don't think Jeri was offended at all Karen... she was just saying why she prefers Satin Ice for her own purposes.

=]
I have to say I've reached the point of not wanting anything to do with making my own fondant any more. After getting my finger stuck between the mixer bowl and the mixer while trying to prevent the bowl from popping off, I'm fed up. Marshmallow fondant does not have the flexibility of Satin Ice and when you buy it, you can count on it being the same consistency time and time again. When I've made marshmallow fondant in hot weather, it's a pain to work with. It's a big time investment. It's okay if you don't do a lot of cakes, but if you do, it adds so many hours more work.

Jeanne said:
I'm with you Jeri... I just can't make my own fondant because I go through way too much of it. I find MMF to be too sweet and chewier than regular fondant. I used to make fondant... then I started getting busy and I just couldn't keep up with my demand for it. I use fondant on all of my cakes so I go through a ton.

I don't think Jeri was offended at all Karen... she was just saying why she prefers Satin Ice for her own purposes.

=]
No you didn't! Everyone thinks I am crazy for buying fondant instead of making it. I just don't like the stress of making it so I always buy it. I don't get offended very often. But I always speak what's on my mind so I might offend others :=)

Karen Marie said:

jeri c said:
You are right... I buy my white, ivory and dk chocolate satin ice in the 20 lb buckets and I can not imagine making it all the time.

Jeanne said:

=]
I must aplogize because I didnt consider that you make so many cakes...I totally understand your reasoning....I am just starting out so I have the time...hopefully I will get busy enough (and make more money) to buy 20 lb buckets too! I just refuse to use Wilton...dont like it...

jeri c said:
No you didn't! Everyone thinks I am crazy for buying fondant instead of making it. I just don't like the stress of making it so I always buy it. I don't get offended very often. But I always speak what's on my mind so I might offend others :=)

Karen Marie said:

jeri c said:
I'd die before using Wilton fondant ever ever again! I used to buy it because that is the only thing I knew about and it was hard to work with... tasted soooo nasty and I never got the look I wanted... then I discovered Satin Ice.... have never looked back. I just don't like chancing that the mmf will turn out the same every time when I have the stress of a wedding cake. I used to really stress out when I was working with wedding cakes but anymore.... I don't stress much unless it doing something I am really unfamiliar with.

Denise said:
Karen- Yes I agree with you in that Wilton is nasty. If they were still my only option for Fondant I would still be killing myself making MMF. LOL, thank goodness I discovered Satin Ice....yummy!

Karen Marie said:
I must aplogize because I didnt consider that you make so many cakes...I totally understand your reasoning....I am just starting out so I have the time...hopefully I will get busy enough (and make more money) to buy 20 lb buckets too! I just refuse to use Wilton...dont like it...

jeri c said:

Karen Marie said:

jeri c said:
I'm with you... I buy white and ivory in the 20 lb pails and red, black, and dark chocolate in 5 lb buckets. I refuse to color fondant black or red. LOL

=]

jeri c said:
You are right... I buy my white, ivory and dk chocolate satin ice in the 20 lb buckets and I can not imagine making it all the time.

Jeanne said:

=]
I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in too. I've never even made fondant, and to be quite honest, I'm scared - very scared!! :S
I was impressed with Satin Ice, I've also heard Wilton has a new 'recipe' but don't think I've tried it. But there is also a group here on CWB, where I learned about FONDARIFIC fondant. I ordered some samples and I must admit, Berry Flavor, Vanilla, Choco Mocha, Cherry, Lemon.... all sound yummy (and tasty, the ones I tried), but there are a bit more expensive than Satin Ice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service