Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi all

I was wondering.....do you think this cake was hand made or would you say a mold was used for the effect on the fondant around the cake.  I looked everywhere and could not find any molds like it?

Views: 350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Corni, I definitely think it was done by hand and it is a good possibility that it is modeling chocolate instead of fondant.  It appears to have been wrapped around the layers on the sides instead of draped over the top, so the knot holes could have been formed prior to attaching to the cake.

Beautiful cake, too.  I've missed seeing you, Corni :o)  Hope you and your family are well and happy.


Hi Sandra

Yes I have been so busy and no time for myself to relax - life is so hectic right now. My oldest is 3 now and the youngest had her 1st birthday in August - time flies too fast!  How are you doing Sandra?

I have just loaded some picks of my work that I have done lately, but there are more to come.

Well I hope I can figure it out soon, this one is for January 2016 so I have some time to play and see what I can do with fondant - hopefully i can sort it out with fondant.  

Sandra Smiley said:

Corni, I definitely think it was done by hand and it is a good possibility that it is modeling chocolate instead of fondant.  It appears to have been wrapped around the layers on the sides instead of draped over the top, so the knot holes could have been formed prior to attaching to the cake.

Beautiful cake, too.  I've missed seeing you, Corni :o)  Hope you and your family are well and happy.

Definitely done by hand Corni.  It's the birch tree effect and there are some tutorials out there I believe.  Try youtube?

Hi Katy

Thank you so much for your reply - I had no idea what tree it resembles.  I will definitely have a look on you tube.  Hopefully I can deliver it as close as to the real thing. 

Katy Nott said:

Definitely done by hand Corni.  It's the birch tree effect and there are some tutorials out there I believe.  Try youtube?

Corni, I just realized, if you are more comfortable with buttercream, you can do the same effect with it.  In fact, it would probably be easier to do the knot holes in buttercream than fondant.  I would smooth it as usual, but no need to be perfect, take a veining tool and make the lines and blemishes in the bark, let the crust set up, then use tinted buttercream, gel colors or petal dusts to add the colored streaks.  Try it on a small cake....but you could do a perfect job!

You're welcome Corni.  Good luck.  

Corni said:

Hi Katy

Thank you so much for your reply - I had no idea what tree it resembles.  I will definitely have a look on you tube.  Hopefully I can deliver it as close as to the real thing. 

Katy Nott said:

Definitely done by hand Corni.  It's the birch tree effect and there are some tutorials out there I believe.  Try youtube?

Found one on CC Corni....she has pictures with step by step.
www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/760582/birch-bark-tree-tutorial
Here's another where they paint on the birchbark:
How-To Make a Rustic Birch Bark Tiered Cake - Cakes.com
www.cakes.com/cake.../150-how-to-make-a-rustic-birch-bark-tiered-cake

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service