Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone

so last night I baked and stacked my 14 inch vanilla sponge base only to realise that the middle barrel, had a cake in 2 places causing it to bulge outward slightly.

The cake is 10.5cm high. I need to add another 10.5 cm high 11 inch base on top of the 14 inch base - how can I support the cake to ensure it dsoesnt crack and collapse?

My first though was to remove that barrel of cake, but it was too "set" in place by the buttercream so I chose not to move it.

Do I need to add a long dowel through both tiers? Perhaps 8/9 plastic dowels in the 14inch cake?

Hope someone can help ;) Am going to start baking the 11inch later today - the cake is being collected tomorrow ....sigh

Views: 256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I should have also said this was a very pretty cake! Being too technical!

Pretty cake Lynette, nobody will know the stress you had. Tell me about stress Katy, I had volunteered  to do a cake for the office for last Wed, I had baked the cake on Monday, thinking I will just have some white chocolate ganache and some piping done on Tuesday.......simple.  Monday at 9.30 p.m. I get a call to ask if i can bring the cake in next day.  Oh my, the ganache refused to thicken, even so I did the piping on top but I just don't feel like posting the cake.  I was so upset with the whole event.

I bet it looked just fine Anne  :o)

Oh Anne - that's horrible, I'm so sorry for you.  I hate when people do things like that - they just haven't got a frickin clue have they?  The trouble is, some people just function that way the whole time.  My stepdaughter is one such person.  Drives me crazy when I get a TEXT at 10 pm - can we have our granddaughter for a couple of days tomorrow..... Apoplectic is the only word to describe me.  Bet your cake was lovely though xx) 

Anne M said:

Pretty cake Lynette, nobody will know the stress you had. Tell me about stress Katy, I had volunteered  to do a cake for the office for last Wed, I had baked the cake on Monday, thinking I will just have some white chocolate ganache and some piping done on Tuesday.......simple.  Monday at 9.30 p.m. I get a call to ask if i can bring the cake in next day.  Oh my, the ganache refused to thicken, even so I did the piping on top but I just don't feel like posting the cake.  I was so upset with the whole event.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service