Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Michele Foster's Fondant (copied from Cake Central)

Michele Foster’s Fondant

Ingredients

1/2 cup cream
2 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1 cup corn syrup
2Tbsp. butter
2Tbsp. glycerin
2 tsp. clear vanilla
dash salt
Approximately 3 1/2 lbs. powdered sugar

Instructions

1. Place milk in 2 cup measuring cup, add gelatin, stir to combine.

2. Let gelatin “bloom” or become firm, usually less than 5 minutes.

3. Place mixture in microwave and heat for 1 minute on high. Stir. If gelatin does not become liquid, microwave in 15 second intervals until the gelatin is melted. Stir between heating cycles.

4. Put corn syrup, butter, glycerin, vanilla, and salt in large measuring cup, add this mixture to the melted gelatin. Stir.

5. Microwave mixture for 2 minutes on high setting. Butter should be almost melted. Stir, set aside to cool to LUKE WARM.

6. Add 2 lbs. of powdered sugar to large mixing bowl. A Kitchen Aid mixer works best for this. Do not use a hand mixer.

7. Strain LUKE WARM mixture into the powdered sugar; mix by hand until just blended. Straining removes any lumps that did not dissolve during the cooking process.

8. Place the bowl on the mixer, add several cups of powdered sugar, and mix very slowly with the dough hook.

9. Continue to add powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, until fondant forms a soft ball. It should not slide down the dough hook and there may be some powdered sugar left in the bottom of the bowl. This is normal. Keeping the mixer covered with a damp dish towel will prevent powdered sugar from coating the kitchen.

10. While the mixer is running prepare a surface for kneading. You will need some powdered sugar and a non-stick surface. Also have plastic wrap prepared with a think coat of cooking oil. Do not use spray, this can cause the fondant to crust.

11. When fondant is ready, remove from the bowl and knead in a small amount of powdered sugar until the fondant is smooth. It will still be slightly soft.

12. Wrap in oil coated plastic wrap; wrap again, and then place in an air tight container such as a zipper bag or plastic tub.

13. Allow fondant to rest at least 6 hours or over night.

14. Knead only the amount required until smooth before rolling out to cover cake or board.

VARIATIONS AND OTHER INFORMATION:

CHOCOLATE – add 6 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the corn syrup. Follow the recipe as normal. Add brown food coloring to make it darker.

WHITE CHOCOLATE- add 6 ounces of white chocolate chips to the corn syrup. Follow the recipe as normal.

DAIRY-FREE FONDANT – Replace equal amounts of water, non-dairy creamer, fruit juice, or other liquid for the cream. Replace the butter with equal amounts of shortening. This also works for unflavored fondant when only covering cake dummies.

GENERAL INFORMATION

*If the fondant is too soft or stretchy, knead in additional powdered sugar in small amounts until fondant is of the consistency of play dough.

*If the fondant is too stiff knead in small amounts of glycerin until softened. This is easier by working in small batches and then blending the batches together. Keep any unused fondant covered.

*Fondant can be stored at room temperature for at least a month. For longer periods, place well wrapped fondant in the freezer. Allow fondant to warm slowly to room temperature before using, usually over night. DO NOT THAW IN THE MICROWAVE.

*The sugar and cooking process preserves the dairy ingredients, so there is no worry of spoilage.

*Chocolate can be a little stiff, more glycerin might be needed. If you add brown food coloring remember that it has glycerin in it (gel colors) and will soften the fondant.

*Please remember that many things can affect the consistency of the fondant. This includes temperature, humidity, temperature of the mixture when added to the powdered sugar, any flavorings that are added, and even the temperature of your own hands. THE FIRST 5 INGREDIENTS MUST BE MEASURED ACCURATELY.

*Color can be added during the cooking stage or the mixing stage. Adding color after the fondant has rested is much more difficult, but it can still be done.

*This recipe is naturally off-white. Add white food color for whiter fondant. Gel color will change the consistency.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

Troubleshooting discussion - http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&a...

Views: 4513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just tried this today for the first time - it's resting on my counter right now!
I try this and is taste good but the only thing is tooo soft I couldn't use, I made it 2 times and still to soft..i follow the recipe step by step....( i try more sugar,let it rest for 2 day before i used) ....pleaseeeee a love the recipe any advice to make work for me ....pleaseeeee
yen, if it is too soft try adding more sugar. Double check your measurements though, could be your gelatin is off. This recipe works for me EVERY time. Also, you can change the type of liquid. The last time I made it I used French Vanilla coffee creamer - worked well.

yen said:
I try this and is taste good but the only thing is tooo soft I couldn't use, I made it 2 times and still to soft..i follow the recipe step by step....( i try more sugar,let it rest for 2 day before i used) ....pleaseeeee a love the recipe any advice to make work for me ....pleaseeeee

thank for your share!

I found milk in the 1st step ,but it didnt in the Ingredients.

I haven't heared heavy cream at all.I only have pure milk and whipping cream.which one should i use?

and is the 1 cup =240ml? O(∩_∩)O

Lyra -

cream = milk.  You can use coffee creamer, half n half, whipping cream, evaporated milk, etc

8 fl oz is approx 240ml

lyra said:

thank for your share!

I haven't heared heavy cream at all.I only have pure milk and whipping cream.which one should i use?

thanks so much!love you!

1/2cup milk =120ml?

Deah said:

Lyra -

cream = milk.  You can use coffee creamer, half n half, whipping cream, evaporated milk, etc

8 fl oz is approx 240ml

lyra said:

thank for your share!

I have tried this recipe 4 times,but failed.luke warm melt is too few .when i put it into the ps.it cant melt the ps evently.next time i put melt into small amount ps and add ps slowly ,but when i add half of the rqstd ps.its hard to add more!

Lyra, check your recipe against this--

1/2 cup cream = 120ml
2 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin  = 30 ml
1 cup corn syrup = 240 ml (use golden syrup if you don’t have corn syrup)
2Tbsp. butter  = 30 ml
2Tbsp. glycerin = 30 ml
2 tsp. clear vanilla = 10 ml
dash salt
Approximately 3 1/2 lbs. powdered sugar = 1.587 kilograms

Are you using powdered sugar or granulated sugar?

yes,its correct.i use ps always.

is the luke warm melt thin liquid?mine is  thick !

when i used other recipe,it also have this problem(ps too many and melt too few).

its a problem puzzled me.is my glucose too thick?or my gelatin too many?

Deah said:

1/2 cup cream = 120ml
2Tbsp. butter  = 30 ml
2Tbsp. glycerin = 30 ml
dash salt

do you have youtube media ?i put the melt in the mixer and add ps slowly without step 7?

step 7 is important but i havent controled

Deah said:

1/2 cup cream = 120ml
2Tbsp. butter  = 30 ml
2Tbsp. glycerin = 30 ml
dash salt

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service