Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

ok i dont know what i did wrong but i made the marshmellow fondant last night, put marsmallows and water in microwave with water, then instead of kneading myself i used my electric mixer and gradually added p.sugar. i then put my fondant in double cling wrap and a ziplock bag and left sitting on the counter. when i went to use it today, i was going to braid it to make it look like rope on my cake and it just kept coming apart and wouldnt hold any shape i was attempting to do. Anyone know what happened or what i did wrong?

Views: 554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds to me like not enough powdered sugar, that's why it wouldn't hold any shape.

Here is the recipe I use

2 lbs powdered sugar

1lb marshmallow

2 tblspoons water

2 teaspoons of extract

1 tablespoon of corn syrup (or glycerin ...for moisture and elasticity)

mix the marshmallow, water, extract and cornsyrup together, melt in the microwave (you can add color at this point also, much easier than trying to knead in color).  Add 1/2 the PS to the melted marshmallow, mix well and hand knead the rest of the PS.  Coat with shortnening and double wrap in saran then place in a gallon zip lock bag.  Works like a charm for me everytime.  It only takes me about 5 minutes to make a batch.

I have never tried making it with a mixer.

You know the old saying....if at first you don't succeed..........

thanks soo much sherry! i will def try your recipe!=)
I having trouble getting my chocolate fondant is to sticky or dry I can't figure what going on 

Sherry Qualls said:

Sounds to me like not enough powdered sugar, that's why it wouldn't hold any shape.

Here is the recipe I use

2 lbs powdered sugar

1lb marshmallow

2 tblspoons water

2 teaspoons of extract

1 tablespoon of corn syrup (or glycerin ...for moisture and elasticity)

mix the marshmallow, water, extract and cornsyrup together, melt in the microwave (you can add color at this point also, much easier than trying to knead in color).  Add 1/2 the PS to the melted marshmallow, mix well and hand knead the rest of the PS.  Coat with shortnening and double wrap in saran then place in a gallon zip lock bag.  Works like a charm for me everytime.  It only takes me about 5 minutes to make a batch.

I have never tried making it with a mixer.

You know the old saying....if at first you don't succeed..........

Sherry- do you leave it out or refridgerate it? Also, does anyone have a good chocolate fondant recipe or i guess what do i need to add to this recipe to make it chocolate?

I don't refrigerate the fondant after it is made.  I just let it rest (wrapped) on the counter.

For chocolate fondant, I use the same recipe and reduce the powdered sugar by the amount of cocoa I use (if I use a 1/4 cup cocoa, I used 1/4 cup less powdered sugar) and add an extra tablespoon of corn syrup.

thank you i will try it tonight

Sherry Qualls said:

I don't refrigerate the fondant after it is made.  I just let it rest (wrapped) on the counter.

For chocolate fondant, I use the same recipe and reduce the powdered sugar by the amount of cocoa I use (if I use a 1/4 cup cocoa, I used 1/4 cup less powdered sugar) and add an extra tablespoon of corn syrup.

Sherry's recipe is the only Marshmallow Fondant that I use!  It tastes great especially the Chocolate, so yummy!  It is so easy to make!  I know everyone who uses this recipe will love it.  I've had many compliments on this fondant and I've shared the recipe with my friends as well.  It is the best.  Please make sure you follow Sherry's instructions to get the best results.

Oh it fits and looks beautiful on cakes or whatever you will be using it on.  I have a couple of cakes on my wall if you want to see different colors and the chocolate one with buttercream roses!

I made my first fondant cake today, it was my first baby rump cake and i used your recipe Sherry and it worked great! thanks soo much!

HI, I was looking for a marshmallow fondant recipe, then i came across yours. i've never made fondant before and i want to try it.. is there any other way i could do this without a microwave being involved? i would appreciate the help a lot. thank you :)

You can melt the marshmallows on the stove top.  I did that the first time I made MMF.  As far as the question about chocolate, you can add about 1/2 c to 3/4 of cocoa  and just reduce the amount of sugar.  I just made a batch but had a little bit of trouble with it.  I used a different brand (store brand) of marshmallows and I think that was what caused the problem.  The taste is awesome.  I actually added a little cappuccino mix to the water.  It was yummy.

FYI !!!!!!!!!! CAMP FIRE MM NOW IN CHOCOLATE , THEY ARE AWESOME ! I MADE HOME MADE MMF , AND ADDED A LITTLE MORE BROWN  gel colorTO THE MELTED CHOC-MM , AFTER I HAD MY FONDANT MADE , I TOOK HALF And added black gel , awesome black fondant or gum paste . taste good to ,  

HEY ! IF YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR OWN CAKE GLITTER ! HERE YOU GO , MAKE YOUR GELETIN LIKE YOU WOULD FOR GELETIN BUTTERFLYS COLOR IT THE COLORS YOU WANT SPEAD THIN COATS ON PLASTIC , WAIT TILL FULL DRY , THAN PELL A CRACK UP , EAST AND CHEAPER , YOU CAN ADD DIDCO DUST TO IT TO

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service