Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I've seen recipes on the web using a can of condensed milk, placed in water, bring to slow boil for around 2hrs and it caramelizes. Makes a sauce. Has anyone done this and how does it taste?   

Views: 460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know a few people have done this Betty - I think Goreti and Linda Wolff have.  It's gorgeous apparently.  I'm lucky and can buy it ready made here by Carnation Caramel it's called.  Don't know if you can get it where you are, save you the trouble of making it lol.  By coincidence, I have just used it today as a Dulce de Leche layer in a 4 layer chocolate cake and then some more in butter icing on butterscotch cupcakes.  

Thanks for the pics Katy. I'll sure look for it. Love caramel. Can you frost a cake with it or make candy? Do you have to do anything else to it. I've used just the milk before but in other ways.

Yes, I've done it before. It tastes good! taste like Dulce de leche

I just cook it recently but not boiling it in a can. I put the content of 1 condensed milk in the sauce pan, I added 1/4 cup brown sugar to it and 1/4 c butter and 1 tsp. vanilla stirring constantly and it turned into a candy when cooled, like White Rabbit (brand of a candy). So better mix it when a little warmer so that it isn't hard when you put it in the pan with milk. I think it is better to use it as a filling in the cake if you cook the can in boiling water. Then I made another one, this time I cook the 1/2 content of condensed milk with 4 eggyolks and a little butter then mix the first one that I cook which is candy like just to make it a little firmer when I use it on my cupcakes. I just melted some chocolate bar and mix some of the milk mixture to make the choco swirl. Here's the photo of what I made.

Betty said:

Thanks for the pics Katy. I'll sure look for it. Love caramel. Can you frost a cake with it or make candy? Do you have to do anything else to it. I've used just the milk before but in other ways.

Thanks Maria, I made notes, I'll give it a try.

I don't know about making candy - never have.  You can use it in a cake as a filling, but you have to be careful not to work it too much as it will go quite runny very quickly,  You can also use it as the base of a banoffee pie, or swirl it into cake batter.  I guess it's pretty versatile.

Betty said:

I found this recipe. You may want to try it, it looks so good!!!

http://chocolatechocolateandmore.com/2012/09/chocolate-dulce-de-lec...

Great site Maria. Lots to look at. Thanks and Yes that recipe does sound good.

Maria Gemini said:

I tried the "can" method Betty. Too much work. I now just plop the condensed milk into a pot, cook on medium, stirring, and after 10-15 min, wa la.... caramel.... Easy peasy.....

Thanks June. That's what i thought. Appears to be several ways to achieve what you want...caramel. 

June Kowalczyk said:

I tried the "can" method Betty. Too much work. I now just plop the condensed milk into a pot, cook on medium, stirring, and after 10-15 min, wa la.... caramel.... Easy peasy.....

That's pretty much how I make my caramel (dulce de leche) butter icing.  Be warned - it is very sweet.  So it's a good idea to have a very dark chocolate cake to cut through it a bit.
Betty said:

Great site Maria. Lots to look at. Thanks and Yes that recipe does sound good.

Maria Gemini said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service