Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd share it here too... A lot of you probably already do this but I started making my own vanilla and LOVE it so much!

Here is what I do:

Actually made a gallon of it at Christmas and gave it as gifts! You need a good quality vodka to start with...80 proof or higher.... buy vanilla beans in bulk. I get mine here....

http://www.vanillaproductsusa.com/servlet/StoreFront
they offer great specials.

I bought little brown bottles and made my own labels.

You split your vanilla beans down the side to open them up and in a 4 oz bottle I added 3 beans and filled it with vodka and closed it up. Shake the bottle daily ( I sometimes forget and it turns out fine) I let mine set for 3 months before using it. My favorite beans for vanilla are the madagascar beans. I used some tahitian beans too but don't care for the vanilla with it. However, you can scrape the tahitian beans and add it to your fresh buttercream and you will have a fresh vanilla bean buttercream that is TO DIE FOR!!!

Super easy to make and my family is always wondering when the next batch will be ready! One more thing.... keep it in a dark cool place while it is brewing.

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I started making my own also - thanks to Jeri C and Cindy Lou's encouragement. I use 1 madagascar bean for every 2 oz of vodka. Let it brew for 3 months (shaking every couple of days) and it's ready to go. I make mine in the vodka bottle and when it is ready I pour some into a smaller bottle for daily use. I add another bean to the small bottle so flavors continue to develop. Also, once I pour out some from the big bottle I add more beans and fill up the bottle again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service