Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

hi i was wodneering if i ould get some tips. 

i have been doing cakes for 2 years now.  and i can do a 'not bad' job.

but if i were asked to do a s imple white fondant covered cake i would do a shcking job.

every time i cover a cake the myriad of lumps, bumbs and not quite right edges are covered by the decorsrions.  

i really wat to be able to d a claen, straight cover on a cake but haven't managed to figure it out from tutorial or practice yet.

i was wondering if anyone had any tips i might have missed that could help me?

Views: 226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heather, this video may help you some with fondant. It did me.http://www.youtube.com/user/SweetWiseInc?v=nu6QpimDDDQ&feature=...

Hi Heather.  I have the same problem as I can be a bit ham fisted.  I have found now though that going over the fondant gently and several times with a smoother helps a lot.  I have also found that rolling the fondant out under cling film gives a much nicer finish.  I've actually just watched the vid that Linda put the link to (thanks Linda - really good demo there) and I think the cling film gives the same kind of assistance that this lady's mat gives her.

Katy, I have since purchased my own piece of vinyl at the fabric store-so much-cheaper in the area where they sell clear table cloth vinyl by the yard. Here in the USA it runs about $3.00 or $4.00 dollars a yard, and the one I purchased says right on it that it is food safe. When it finally gets crummy from shortening, I just throw it away and purchase another one.

KATY NOTT said:

Hi Heather.  I have the same problem as I can be a bit ham fisted.  I have found now though that going over the fondant gently and several times with a smoother helps a lot.  I have also found that rolling the fondant out under cling film gives a much nicer finish.  I've actually just watched the vid that Linda put the link to (thanks Linda - really good demo there) and I think the cling film gives the same kind of assistance that this lady's mat gives her.

The bumps and lumps are caused from bulging or an not so smooth cake. I have the same problem every once in awhile. I found Sharon Zambito's DVD Flawless Fondant very helpful. 

One thing that really helped me was rolling the fondant much thinner - 1/16" thick. The thinner it is, the easier it is to work with and you get less cracks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service