Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Good morning ladies,

 

I want to make fondant to look like dark hardwood floor...any thoughts on how to do this?

 

I was thinking of making the fondant in a marble effect with brown and black mix, not sure if that would do the trick?

 

Thank you!!
Meera 

Views: 6682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Take a look at Eileen S' pics.  She has a cake with wood fondant and describes how she did it.

I have made it like that, only I used wht and brown. Then I used one of my fondant tools to genlty make wood grain lines on the fondant.

I did this for my attampt at a castle and did the marble way with my wine box cake.

I know some also make the etched in wood grain lines then use food coloring to paint in the lines.

Or you could make the lines then gently paint the entire thing with food coloring then immediatly wipe it off with paper towel and you will be left with whatever paint remains in the crackes and such.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Deah, i couldn't find what pics you were referring to...

 

Shauna, i saw your pictures of the wood! Nice work that is exactly what i'm looking for....thanks!!

 

Here it is - http://www.cakeswebake.com/photo/woodgrain-floor?context=user

Meera said:

Thanks Deah, i couldn't find what pics you were referring to...

 

Shauna, i saw your pictures of the wood! Nice work that is exactly what i'm looking for....thanks!!

 

 

 

I think you can also use the vanilla flavoring (since it has that light brown tint to it) and brush over the white and brown marbelized fondant).

Shauna said:

I have made it like that, only I used wht and brown. Then I used one of my fondant tools to genlty make wood grain lines on the fondant.

I did this for my attampt at a castle and did the marble way with my wine box cake.

I know some also make the etched in wood grain lines then use food coloring to paint in the lines.

Or you could make the lines then gently paint the entire thing with food coloring then immediatly wipe it off with paper towel and you will be left with whatever paint remains in the crackes and such.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi Meera,

 

Woodgrain is simple to do.  Start with the lightest color fondant you want your wood to be.  Add dark brown fondant in a strip next to it, but don't knead it in - make a log of the two fondant colors and roll it between your palms, making the log smaller.  Fold that log in half and repeat, so you get a mostly "straight" grain effect until it looks about right.  Then roll it out, cut it like you want it and apply it to your cake.  Then take brown food coloring mixed with vodka and brush on your woodgrain fondant until you get the texture you like.  If you want it really shiny, you can always steam it.  That's what I did on the side of the guitar here:

http://www.cakeswebake.com/photo/sde-of-guitar-cake?context=user

 

 

I hope that helps!

Try air brushing after you make the "wood grain" print in to the fondant.

Thanks everyone!!  I did do the wood look fondant and it came out quite well....Eileen I used your technique and it worked like a charm!!! Cheers :)

 

I will post up a pic shortly of the wood look and the cake I did!! :)

Yeay!  So glad it worked for you!

Meera said:

Thanks everyone!!  I did do the wood look fondant and it came out quite well....Eileen I used your technique and it worked like a charm!!! Cheers :)

 

I will post up a pic shortly of the wood look and the cake I did!! :)

Hi everyone,

 

I have another question regarding hardwood floor.

 

What is best way to make your floor look like PARQUET floor with not too much work?? Like this as an example...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Azlna17hG3Y/TQ22Sn9fb8I/AAAAAAAAAFM/2TPct...

 

Any thoughts would be great!!

 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service