Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

how long could cake batter sit before going into the oven?

Hi everyone 

i bake out of my home, and only have one oven. which can only bake 48 cupcakes at a time, 

my Kitchen Aid is able to mix more batter than needed. i have some Valentine's day orders to fill. my question is, can i put the batter in the cupcake pans to sit while one set bakes in the oven.? would the cupcakes be affected?

Views: 7061

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely my dear. I do this ALL the time. Do this with cakes too. I have refridgerated batter until the next day as well. Took out & let it get to room temperature, plopped into the pans/tins....and baked away.

:0)

Good point about the Room Temperature June!  Actually, room temperature batters will bake more evenly than cold batters.  Using cold batters can result in "domed" cakes and cupcakes.  The outer parts of the cake nearer to the heat will bake faster while the inner batter will remain cooler and take longer to bake.  The result is that the outer areas will become firm faster and not "give" evenly forcing the inner batter to go up and out so to speak as it rises.  It may also take longer to bake and make the outer parts of the cake more dry.  You can take your cold ingredients out of the refrigerator a little bit ahead of mixing for batters you will be baking the same day.  If you are using refrigerated batter, you can sit it out a little ahead of baking as June said.  You do have to be careful to bake thoroughly though and I will add that you should store the batters in super airtight containers to keep them from taking on odors and flavors of other things you may have in the refrigerator. 

Thanks Caran

My Mother taught me well!!!  And you are right about the airtight container. Although my new fridge elimanates that problem. I have 3 airtight drawers, and the odours don't transfer

Hey June, and what refrigerator is that?  We need it...LOL. 

LOL Sandra!  I was thinking the same thing in regard to my home kitchen!  That would be a nice thing to have!  I have commercial appliances for my business.  ;0) 

It is Samsung, new in 2011. Couldn't tell you the model no. tho. That is my hubby's department. The drawers are amazing.  Each drawer  is temperature controled, one I can actually thaw my meat in. My fruits & veg NEVER freeze up anymore like they use to.  I have a ice & water dispencer. I LOVE that....  Waited a long time to get a fridege like this.

NICE!!!

June Kowalczyk said:

It is Samsung, new in 2011. Couldn't tell you the model no. tho. That is my hubby's department. The drawers are amazing.  Each drawer  is temperature controled, one I can actually thaw my meat in. My fruits & veg NEVER freeze up anymore like they use to.  I have a ice & water dispencer. I LOVE that....  Waited a long time to get a fridege like this.

Yup......I think so :0)

Help me here someone.  Here's a link to an earlier discussion I'd posted on CWB :http://www.cakeswebake.com/forum/topics/freezing-cake-batter, and 

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/276595                     

What's the difference ?

Ok

Have tried to post a reply like x's 3. Will try again.

Check out: thekitchn.com....3 ways to freeze cupcake batter for later

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service