Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Has anyone ever heard of this? If so can you spread some light on it for the rest of us? Thanks!

Views: 16268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have modify my recipe to 1 cup butter, 1 cup crisco and heavy cream or whole milk to add fat back into crisco 
To me the bright white icing from there taste like vegatable oil! It leaves an almost glaze on the roof of my mouth and teeth.

Tazkera nur said:
U can find the bright white for icing in Michael's store. You will find it where they keep all the fondant and flavors or gel colors. I hope that will help.

Vera Vargas said:
Is there anyway you can tell me where I can buy or find the bright white for the icing?
I have looked all over and noone seems to carry it. Do you think I can get it at Sams?

How much cocoa do you add for chocolate icing?

Machelle said:

The first buttercream I was taught to make was with Hi-ratio shorting. Luckily there is a local supply store where I can buy in bulk. I have made different variations of it by adding cocoa for chocolate icing or peanut butter for filling. Here is the recipe I always use.

3/4 cup of hi ratio shortening
scant 1/2 cup warm water
2 lbs powder sugar
1-2 tsp clear flavoring
1-2 Tsp snow white base (I think this is what everyone else is calling bright white)

cream shortening and water slowly add in sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add flavoring and SW base. Beat until no longer grainy (approx. 2-3 min).

Hope this helps.

I get my hi-ratio from the restaurant supplier, Sysco.  $35 for 50 pounds!  And it's 100% as good as Sweetex which is more than double the price... and I don't pay shipping as with Sweetex.

I'm so sick of this trans fat crap.  Leave my food alone!  I eat healthy on a regular basis.  We are not supposed to be eating fatty foods as a steady diet.  For those of us who don't, that little bit of bad fat we eat one in a blue moon won't mean a hill of beans to us.  If the country would stop getting fatter and fatter as a whole, the government would stay out of our business. 

I have never used anything but hi-ratio shortening in my buttercream since my first day of cake decorating class in 1995. I took my first classes in Los Angeles and my 2 instructors highly recommended using hi-ratio in our buttercream. My buttercream holds up in hot and cold weather and my customers like it very much. Some who never eat buttercream eat mine because they tell me it is good. When I moved back to Iowa hi-ratio was hard to find. I finally found a restaurant supply who carried Sweetex. I have been using Sweetex since I moved to Iowa in 2004. In California there were other brands of hi-ratio that I used that were less expensive than Sweetex. When I first purchased Sweetex in Iowa it was $60 for a 50 pound block. Now it is $103.00 but to me it is worth having a buttercream I can depend on. I have even had a bride tell me the reason she ordered her wedding cake from me was because she liked my buttercream.  Also my buttercream does not stick to the roof of your mouth like other shortenings do.  In California I also used Brite White in my buttercream.  Here in Iowa I have only been using Sweetex.  In 7 years I've had only a couple of air bubbles on my cakes.
Hi ratio shortening is a more refined shortening than Crisco.  It is much tastier than Crisco & is used in many recipes now.  There are different brands. google it.
I live in Iowa and my Sweetex has 3 g of trans fats.  I lived in CA for 25 years and that was where I learned about Hi-Ratio, Bright White and Sweetex.  However, in California there were other brands of Hi-Ratio that the cake decorating stores carried.  I never used Sweetex then because it was the most expensive. 

Marilyn Robson said:
I use Sweetex and have for years.  I am in California and it now comes labeled "Zero Trans Fats"  It makes a much looser icing than the old Sweetex, and the flavor is a little different.  Guess I'll have to play around with the formula.
Hi, do you mind sending me the contact info for Sysco please?

Dawn Becker said:

I get my hi-ratio from the restaurant supplier, Sysco.  $35 for 50 pounds!  And it's 100% as good as Sweetex which is more than double the price... and I don't pay shipping as with Sweetex.

I'm so sick of this trans fat crap.  Leave my food alone!  I eat healthy on a regular basis.  We are not supposed to be eating fatty foods as a steady diet.  For those of us who don't, that little bit of bad fat we eat one in a blue moon won't mean a hill of beans to us.  If the country would stop getting fatter and fatter as a whole, the government would stay out of our business. 

i whip my buttercream fora while and i find  that its not as gritty. its hard to find high ratio shortning. And i do fine that since i whip it longer that it crusts great

1 1/2c shortning

4c. powderes sugar

1/2 water

2 tsp clear vanilla

and it comes out pretty white.

wilton carries a whitner if you really want your butter cream to be whiter or if you make a misteak on a color and need to lighten it up. i dont think it works that well so i will have to check into the other stuff

I'm not Dawn but here's their website - www.sysco.com

Genevieve Poitevien said:
Hi, do you mind sending me the contact info for Sysco please?

Dawn Becker said:

I get it at my Michaels store.  It is a small bottle in the Wilton isle.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service