Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Has anyone ever heard of this? If so can you spread some light on it for the rest of us? Thanks!

Views: 16268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cindy, I assume you found a store brand shortening with trans fats. Like most things, results could be different with different brands. Until recently, I only used Food Lion brand shortening. It worked much better than any other store brand I was able to find. I've switched to high ratio shortening that can be purchased for commercial applications - 50lb box. The high ratio accepts more sugar and liquid so a creamier BC is produced. But just like everything else, brands do make a difference. I ordered a small tub of high ratio from CK products and it was terrible. What I use now is a Wesson product. Sweetex and Alpine are both well known brands with good reviews.

Cindy said:
I found a shortening in a local grocery store that has trans fat in it. Will it work the same as high ratio shortening?
Thanks Deah. I did order a small tub of high ratio from an online site and could not really tell much difference. (can't remember the brand, but it was not CK) I am only making cakes for friends and giving them away for the learning process, so I was hoping to find a "cheaper" route.
What does bright white do for the icing?

Tazkera nur said:
U can find the bright white for icing in Michael's store. You will find it where they keep all the fondant and flavors or gel colors. I hope that will help.

Vera Vargas said:
Is there anyway you can tell me where I can buy or find the bright white for the icing?
I have looked all over and noone seems to carry it. Do you think I can get it at Sams?
It makes the icing a brighter white. Without it your icing may have a yellowish or off white cast.

Anne M said:
What does bright white do for the icing?

Tazkera nur said:
U can find the bright white for icing in Michael's store. You will find it where they keep all the fondant and flavors or gel colors. I hope that will help.

Vera Vargas said:
Is there anyway you can tell me where I can buy or find the bright white for the icing?
I have looked all over and noone seems to carry it. Do you think I can get it at Sams?
I've been using Crisco for years and haven't noticed a difference? My recipe calls for meringue powder too so maybe that helps. I'll have to keep an eye out for this Sweetex stuff and give it a shot.
I've also never used Brtie White and never had a problem with coloring. So much good info here!
if anyone is in cleveland ... depending on where you are at, The Bakers Kitchen is in Toledo. its an hour and a half away from me, well worth the drive for all the great stuff they have =-)
I was born and raised in Toledo, but live in Columbus now. However, I do visit Toledo quite often and will have to give it a try the next time I'm in town. Cake Craft here in Columbus has a ton of stuff, too. Thanks for the info.

Colleen said:
if anyone is in cleveland ... depending on where you are at, The Bakers Kitchen is in Toledo. its an hour and a half away from me, well worth the drive for all the great stuff they have =-)
Hi there, I'm new to this site. Just wanted to share with everyone that I was just told that hight ratio shortening would no longer be available in California. My local cale supply was just told that their vendor would not longer be making the shortening w/high fat, which means the consistency would change how buttercream is made. Has anyone else heard this?

I've heard that but I'm on the east coast so I haven't really been keeping up with it.  However, I did notice not too long ago that Sweetex has a high ratio without transfats.  I bet you can get that in CA.

Martha Sanchez said:

Hi there, I'm new to this site. Just wanted to share with everyone that I was just told that hight ratio shortening would no longer be available in California. My local cale supply was just told that their vendor would not longer be making the shortening w/high fat, which means the consistency would change how buttercream is made. Has anyone else heard this?
thanks for all the useful info! love this website!
I use Sweetex and have for years.  I am in California and it now comes labeled "Zero Trans Fats"  It makes a much looser icing than the old Sweetex, and the flavor is a little different.  Guess I'll have to play around with the formula.
Nycake.com has everything in stock you need i visir there ny location all the time but im sure they ship every where

Deah said:
You can order hi ratio from cake supply companies but shipping seems to be a killer. If there is a restaurant supply distributor in your area you may want to check with them to see if they carry it. I've seen prices $84-129 for 50lbs. Vera Vargas said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service