Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions around a wedding cake to serve 400 people.

 

These are the tiers I am thinking of, it should be enough right? 1x2 pieces.

18" square

16" square

14" square

12" square

 

My question is, an 18" square pan will not fit in my oven.  How should I go about baking this cake????  Any thoughts or HELP please!!!

 

Thank you!
Meera

Views: 2867

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

also be sure to use thick wooden dowels to ensure that the cake will be stable enough.  good luck.  message me if you have any questions :)  

ok... design is complete.  I am attaching a jpeg of the sketch of the cake.  It will be 8 tiers... the 14, 12, 10, 8 & 6 will all be 4" tall tiers and the 13, 11 & 9" tiers will be 2" deep.   I am not too worried about the support system.  I have done enough cakes that I have that down pretty good.  In over 30 years never had one fall yet... hope I don't jinx myself! ;-)   And there will be my Triple Chocolate Fudge cake filled and iced with ganache in the kitchen to serve to make up the remainder of the tiers.  And there will be a grooms cake too in the shape of a hog.

 

Attachments:

Hi Jeri,

the turquoise brooches look amazing - can't wait to see this cake in the sugar.

Good luck,

Tracy :)
 
jeri c said:

ok... design is complete.  I am attaching a jpeg of the sketch of the cake.  It will be 8 tiers... the 14, 12, 10, 8 & 6 will all be 4" tall tiers and the 13, 11 & 9" tiers will be 2" deep.   I am not too worried about the support system.  I have done enough cakes that I have that down pretty good.  In over 30 years never had one fall yet... hope I don't jinx myself! ;-)   And there will be my Triple Chocolate Fudge cake filled and iced with ganache in the kitchen to serve to make up the remainder of the tiers.  And there will be a grooms cake too in the shape of a hog.

 

Jeri, in the drawing, it looks like it won't be that big....but using those pan sizes, I KNOW it's going to be everything But small!! Looks really cool! I can't wait to see it all put together...most of all, I can't wait to see your pig cake. lol That should be a real hoot.

jeri c said:

ok... design is complete.  I am attaching a jpeg of the sketch of the cake.  It will be 8 tiers... the 14, 12, 10, 8 & 6 will all be 4" tall tiers and the 13, 11 & 9" tiers will be 2" deep.   I am not too worried about the support system.  I have done enough cakes that I have that down pretty good.  In over 30 years never had one fall yet... hope I don't jinx myself! ;-)   And there will be my Triple Chocolate Fudge cake filled and iced with ganache in the kitchen to serve to make up the remainder of the tiers.  And there will be a grooms cake too in the shape of a hog.

 

WOW Jeri that looks great! I also can't wait to see your final cake....please be sure to put pictures up! Just as a side question - which software did you use to make the sketch??

jeri c said:

ok... design is complete.  I am attaching a jpeg of the sketch of the cake.  It will be 8 tiers... the 14, 12, 10, 8 & 6 will all be 4" tall tiers and the 13, 11 & 9" tiers will be 2" deep.   I am not too worried about the support system.  I have done enough cakes that I have that down pretty good.  In over 30 years never had one fall yet... hope I don't jinx myself! ;-)   And there will be my Triple Chocolate Fudge cake filled and iced with ganache in the kitchen to serve to make up the remainder of the tiers.  And there will be a grooms cake too in the shape of a hog.

 

Yes, I will be looking forward in anticipation to see this cake.  I would also like to know like Meera, what software you are using.

I can't imagine after planning a wedding cake, making another for the groom. Read a lot about it hear. In Canada, that just isn't done. Not one of our traditions. It always makes me wonder where the idea/tradition started from???

What June, the grooms cake itself, or the shapped grooms cakes?



June Kowalczyk said:

Yes, I will be looking forward in anticipation to see this cake.  I would also like to know like Meera, what software you are using.

I can't imagine after planning a wedding cake, making another for the groom. Read a lot about it hear. In Canada, that just isn't done. Not one of our traditions. It always makes me wonder where the idea/tradition started from???

*shaped

Linda Wolff said:

What June, the grooms cake itself, or the shapped grooms cakes?



June Kowalczyk said:

Yes, I will be looking forward in anticipation to see this cake.  I would also like to know like Meera, what software you are using.

I can't imagine after planning a wedding cake, making another for the groom. Read a lot about it hear. In Canada, that just isn't done. Not one of our traditions. It always makes me wonder where the idea/tradition started from???*shaped

No, not the "shape".  Just the tradition of the groom's cake period.

  Heck when my Mom came to Canada from Scotland, they didn't have these eleborate wedding showers. They were small little events. And a lot of weddings were early morning, which included a "breakfast", not the big affairs we have now. This shocked her.

I know the tradition has been around in the USA for a long time, because my sister had a grooms cake at her first wedding and that was a good 45 years ago. It was chocolate but not a shape. It was square and done in the same colors as the wedding cake withe the same flowers and set to the side of the cake.

June Kowalczyk said:

No, not the "shape".  Just the tradition of the groom's cake period.

  Heck when my Mom came to Canada from Scotland, they didn't have these eleborate wedding showers. They were small little events. And a lot of weddings were early morning, which included a "breakfast", not the big affairs we have now. This shocked her.

Hey Linda

Just sent some info on "groom's cake" to your email!!

got it! very interesting concerning the grooms cake. My sister was married around 1967, so that fits with the article of the grooms cake changing to chocolate.

June Kowalczyk said:

Hey Linda

Just sent some info on "groom's cake" to your email!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service