Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions around a wedding cake to serve 400 people.

These are the tiers I am thinking of, it should be enough right? 1x2 pieces.

18" square

16" square

14" square

12" square

My question is, an 18" square pan will not fit in my oven.  How should I go about baking this cake????  Any thoughts or HELP please!!!

Thank you!
Meera

Views: 3057

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You could bake 4 nine inch squares for each layer, so if you are doing a two layer cake you would have to bake 8 cakes total. If you don't have a nine inch square, use the eight instead and frost between the joints joining all four together to form the big square. It might not make it to exactly 18 inches, but it would be closer. That's how I would do it, because I know that size wouldn't fit into my oven either.

Does ALL the cake to feed the 400 have to come from the main wedding cake? The reasom I ask is two fold.

1. Not everyone will eat a slice of cake

2. Our original count for my daughters wedding as 200 +, and we ended up with 180. My daughter didn't want a big wedding cake, so I baked 4 large slab cakes. This, plus the wedding cake, was used for dessert and buffet table @ midnight.

This might be a easier solution than a monster wedding cake. Of course, this might be what the bride & groom have requested.

Just throwing a idea out there.

Thanks a lot Linda for your suggestion!! :)

June - yes the actual # is 650, and so I'm using the 60% rule to determine how many people will actually eat cake...so roughly 400.  And yes this will be the main wedding cake.  Bride does not want sheet cakes.  So your thoughts on the size of tiers??

Well, you would get better advice from some of the pros on here. I am just a hobby baker, & couldn't , or wouldn't advise you because I don't have enough experience for something like this.

How about going to a bakery and asking for that size cake with nothing. Just the cake. It saves you all those worries about them comming apart. Just thinking

That is a great idea Patricia! That is if their prices aren't too high. Another thought, is you could either go with even more tiers starting out with the 16" as your base cake and building from there maybe up to a 5 or 7 tier cake, or you could make satellite cakes on either side of the main cake that match the center one. Another possibility, is to try and make up the extra slices in a grooms cake. That way you wouldn't have to put all of that cake into the actual wedding cake but still have plenty of slices.

Patricia Soto said:

How about going to a bakery and asking for that size cake with nothing. Just the cake. It saves you all those worries about them comming apart. Just thinking

I once did a trio of cakes.  The center cake was 5 tiers (14, 12, 10, 8, & 6) and the two were three tier (10, 8, & 6).  It made for a very impressive cake table.  

Hello, using the Wilton serving table those sizes will serve 460 people. I am NOT assuming that the 12" cake is for the bride to keep. So, having said that, I will use the 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6. That will make a very impressive cake plus will serve 398. I like Linda's idea of adding satellites cakes on the side. If the bride only wants a four tier cake (not a taller cake), then talk about adding a couple of satellites cakes. Hope this helps.

Thank you ladies for all your suggestions and ideas...i'm going to suggest some of these to the bride! :) Will let you know what we go with!!!

Love this site!! :)

I have one to do in March that serves 500 and am working on ideas with the bride.  Not sure what option she will like best but I am hoping that she chooses the 14-12-10-8-6 option and then I will make cakes to be in the kitchen that I will just coat with a good coat of buttercream and the kitchen can cut and serve them.  I am traveling from Oregon to Texas to do this cake so packing all my supplies and mailing them down a week in advance.  I have given her several options just hoping this one works!

Whoa.....I cannot imagine making that many tiers!!!! Are you baking & freezing the cakes Jeri?  Are you driving or flying????

Hi Jeri,

So.....those tiers will serve 252 people (according to Wilton) leaving the 6" for the bride, and I am guessing you are doing squares cakes...because rounds serves less cake.  Let us KNOW...please, I am just curious as to the sizes you are going to do in the back kitchen as well.

jeri c said:

I have one to do in March that serves 500 and am working on ideas with the bride.  Not sure what option she will like best but I am hoping that she chooses the 14-12-10-8-6 option and then I will make cakes to be in the kitchen that I will just coat with a good coat of buttercream and the kitchen can cut and serve them.  I am traveling from Oregon to Texas to do this cake so packing all my supplies and mailing them down a week in advance.  I have given her several options just hoping this one works!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service