Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Is it ok to bake a cake in advance and freeze it or how long can you bake ahead of time? I am trying to learn and some forums say it is better to refigerate before icing - is this true? hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance Debbie :)

Views: 20543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad the cake turned out moist and yummy and that everything turned out.

I have a cake due for Tuesday afternoon, so I want to bake the cakes today (Sunday) and freeze them. From what I've read here, the cake should be wrapped in plastic wrap 2-3 times and then with foil, then put in the freezer. So, if you freeze a standard 9 x 13 cake, when should you take it out of the freezer to crumb coat and cover with fondant? Also, do you leave it in the plastic and foil wrapping or do you unwrap it when you take it out of the freezer?

Since I would be using the cakes in a couple of days or possibly tomorrow would it be better to store them in the refrigerator rather than freezing? I'm trying to plan out the timing so I can get everything done on time.

Thanks.

Wouldn't keeping them wrapped while they warm to room temperature actually make the consenstaion does get into or onto the cakes?

Melissa said:

When I have frozen cakes they have come out perfect...as if they were baked the day before.  After my cakes have cooled I put them on a cake circle, wrap in Saran Wrap and then wrap with layers of alumin foil.  Before I take them out of their wrapping I always let them sit until they reach room temp so the condensation does not get into or onto the cake.
Yes, you are correct Terry
The condensation reverts back into the cake.

Thanks June, that's what I thought. So, is it better to keep it wrapped or unwrap while it is coming to room temperature?

Keep it wrapped. Unless you are carving, then it is better to do when partially frozen

Thanks June!

You don't need to use so many layers to wrap it before freezing, especially for such a short time.  Just do a single wrap with saran OR aluminum foil OR a zip lock OR nothing at all.

Would having several layers make the cake not freeze well? I wrapped it in plastic wrap (2 layers) and foil (1 layer) and put it in the freezer. I may be taking it out tomorrow or Tuesday morning. This is my first time freezing a cake, so I'm a bit nervous but if everything I've read here is any indication, I have high hopes.

No, it won't hurt it at all, just a waste of plastic wrap/foil and your time.  Don't worry about it.  It will be fine.  Cakes and icing are pretty resilient and hard to really mess up.  That is why you will find different ways to do things, there are more than one "right" way.  Relax and have fun!  Denette

It  really depends on how long you plan to freeze something. As far as cake, you usually don't freeze it for months like other products. You are trying to protect your product from "freezer burn".  Dinette is right, you can do over kill. My last cake, because it was only in the freezer for 3 days, was 1 layer plastic wrap, & then into a zip loc bag.  I have a food saver machine, which sucks all the air out of the bag you place your product in. That is what causes freezer burn, air geting at your product. Technically, using the food saver,  I could freeze a cake up to 6 mnths.  Would I??  Not Likely.

I don't freeze mine.  I bake on Monday's.  I let them cool completely then wrap each in cling wrap & put them in the fridge.  On Wed., I crumb coat.  Thur., I do the final coat & depending on time start the decorating.  

I have only frozen a cake once (had to reschedule the event) & it was completely frosted.  I boxed it then wrapped the box with cling wrap, al+ foil, & more cling wrap.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service