Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi all plssssss help me.  I need to make a wedding cake for Saturday the 8th, but going on leave on the 3rd or so.  How long ahead can I make a 4 tier wedding cake covered in buttercream and fondant?  What white cake recipe will be best (firm ect) for fondant and freshness

thank you

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well Delicia

You can bake your cakes this wknd, crumb coat and cover them in buttercream. Then freeze them. Wrapping each cake tier in plastic wrap and tin foil.  You can take cakes out of the freezer Tues eve & put on the counter to thaw. Leave them wrapped.  Now you say you will be on leave 3rd Dec. Are you going away? Because you would have to cover your cakes in fondant and any decorations Wednesday, which is the 5th.  Cakes sitting in a cool spot in your house, away from any dierct heat,  will be fresh until the Saturday.  There are several good white cake recipes on CWB. Here is one many use:

Original WASC (White Almond Sour Cream) Cake Recipe

Kakeladi's Original Wasc (White Almond Sour Cream) Cake (copy and pasted from Cake Central)
1 box cake mix  1 cup flour* 1 cup granulated sugar generous dash of salt
1 cup sour cream* 1 cup water * 3 whole eggs 1 tablespoon flavoring*
Instructions
1. In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It’s helpful to use a wire whisk; important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors. In mixer bowl place next 4 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes. 2. Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual. 3. *NOTES: *ANY* cake flavor can be used. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together others say they sift all dry ingredients together. 4. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time. 5. You can use milk, juice, thawed fzn concentrates, soda pop (ie: Coke) cream or just about anything wet for the liquid. 6. This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter. 7. Most of the time I forget to add the salt:)  9. This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10″ sq OR 9×13 OR one 8″ & two 6″ round;OR two 8″rounds OR a 12″ round; and other combinations of pans.
Bake 325 degrees for the length of time for the individual pan.

Hope this helps.  :o)

Delicia - I have never deliberately made a cake that far in advance, so I couldn't be absolutely sure, but......

I made a cake for someone, expecting them to eat it within a day or two and then it turned out that she kept it for a week before cutting it!  However, the next time I saw her, she said the cake was lovely and she had never tasted such a moist sponge.  Now, what she was comparing it to, I don't know.  The cake I used was a Mary Berry's all-in-one Victoria Sponge.  Fine for one or maybe two tiers, but I'm not sure about 4 tiers (again, because I've never tried).   I guess with dowels and separator plates, it should work.  But not for stacking.

Here is her recipe - 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mary_berrys_perfect_34317

Or for something firmer - a Madeira cake - 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/madeiracake_73878

but I would also pour over some sort of sugar syrup while it's warm, to make it more moist.

My 1st cake.... zero experience, I made 3 tiers, the week before the wedding. Covered them in fondant, kept them in my basement, which was cool & dry.  Well they were moist, no one doed of food poisoning.  SOooo... who knows?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service