Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I just wanted to share the excitement I felt when I finally had a go at making gelatine butterflies. I wanted to practice them before the wedding cake I have to do in March and was concerned that they wouldn't hold up in humidity or that they would look cheap and nasty and plastic. I was very pleased with the results, and so was the bride to be when I emailed her a pic too.

Views: 11347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just joined this please explain what you mean by gelatin sheets and how do you  make thewse butterflies?

those are beautiful!

Fran I bought some butterfly veining sheets from cake connection in the States.

Then using gelatine that has been  heated so it becomes a liquid you use a soft brush and paint it onto the sheets; leave it to dry and then take it off the sheet, cut around the edge with scissors to neaten the wings, add a fondant body , some disco dust and voila! a transparent edible butterfly!
If you would like to see a video of this activity go to http://www.cakeconnection.com/gelatin_art.php You can aso make flowers with it!

Thank you - I truly appreciate such a quick response and for the link.

OMG!!  thanks!

wow i have gel sheets , dint try them yet . are they easy ? love your butterflies

cool i have the veining sheets to

Yes they're easy to use. If you go to the cake connection website it has a video on how to use the sheets - they're demonstrating flowers - but the principle's the same. My advice to to take some time and have a play with it, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH . AWESOME WORK ,

Beautiful!!!!! I've never seen anything like that edible! Where can I find information to learn how?  I know your cake will be exquisite!!

you can get good buys on the sheets and the gel on ebay ! free shipping to , thats were i got mine from but never used , i cant fig-outhow , lol

Here is a pic of the finished cake. The bride was very pleased. It was in a venue next to the beach and as the breeze came through the doors the butterflies wings fluttered!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service