Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Not to offend anyone who's into this, but are we serious?  This is a thing we're going to do?  I don't know, I just find it a little disturbing.  I don't know which bothers me more the cakes that resemble life-like babies, or the ones that are just decorated with disembodied parts.  Don't get me started on the pathology at work in the person that wants to eat the baby...

Again, nothing personal, just stirring the pot a little here...  So, who's doing this, what's really the deal with it, etc...

Views: 1062

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

haha they seem to be very popular at baby showers recently. The top of the cake is a baby bottom with legs and feet. Yeah dont think I could eat it either! Know what gets me more is the belly/baby bump cakes. The cakes that are just the torso of a pregnant woman, basically her boobs and belly. When they have a baby foot imprint on the belly....ahhhhhhhh I dont know why but it freaks me out LOL

But hey more power to you if people want you to make this for them!

Haha.. They do want me to make it.  I've seen those pregnant belly cakes too... I've been refusing to make them, I have a no people policy in general...  I'll do a cartooney drawing of a baby or the like but I gotta draw the line.
I like the baby butt cakes and everyone thinks they're adorable.  The belly cakes don't bother me but the ones with the baby faces are too much. 

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now and cakes made to resemble pets are a little disturbing to me.   But, to each his own, I guess.

 

I don't mind it when it's a cake topper.  When these are in gumpaste or fondant if kept out of direct sunlight they literally last forever.  So most new mothers want to keep those and they are never cut.

 

But when the cake itself resembles a live baby, it is weird.  I agree.  But bottom line - it's just a cake, people - it's not a baby.  I have never made one - I'm convinced I'd never be able to pull it off.  But I know it would not bother me to make one - and I would think it weird while cutting it - but I'd get over it real quick.

 

How is this any different than those edible image pictures of your kids?  You are still slicing right through those pretty little faces.

 

You think people are free handing these?  I assume there's some kind of mould being used...

Dawn Becker said:

I don't mind it when it's a cake topper.  When these are in gumpaste or fondant if kept out of direct sunlight they literally last forever.  So most new mothers want to keep those and they are never cut.

 

But when the cake itself resembles a live baby, it is weird.  I agree.  But bottom line - it's just a cake, people - it's not a baby.  I have never made one - I'm convinced I'd never be able to pull it off.  But I know it would not bother me to make one - and I would think it weird while cutting it - but I'd get over it real quick.

 

How is this any different than those edible image pictures of your kids?  You are still slicing right through those pretty little faces.

 

I'm right there with you, JJ.  Life-like baby cakes creep me out big time!  And I agree with Stacy as well - don't like the belly cakes either!  There was a segment on Cake Wrecks where they showed a cut-up baby cake.  It was really really disturbing. Plus, who wants to eat the face?? o_O   Not as disturbing as the meatloaf baby, but almost.

 

I'm kind of that way on all life-like animal cakes too.  I know it's just cake, but it's the act of cutting into it with a knife that's kind of off-putting.  We took a picture of our cute little chick Easter Cake with a knife stuck in it's head and that was bad enough! LOL!

 

 

Bahaha... I saw that same thing.  That meat loaf baby was horrible! 

Eileen S said:

I'm right there with you, JJ.  Life-like baby cakes creep me out big time!  And I agree with Stacy as well - don't like the belly cakes either!  There was a segment on Cake Wrecks where they showed a cut-up baby cake.  It was really really disturbing. Plus, who wants to eat the face?? o_O   Not as disturbing as the meatloaf baby, but almost.

 

I'm kind of that way on all life-like animal cakes too.  I know it's just cake, but it's the act of cutting into it with a knife that's kind of off-putting.  We took a picture of our cute little chick Easter Cake with a knife stuck in it's head and that was bad enough! LOL!

 

 

Having grown up with my older brother sneaking into my room on Easter & biting the heads off every Bunny & every Christmas doing the same with every chocolate Santa I am not offended by a body part cake.  Now the foot in the belly, no would not do it, watched Alien(s) too many times.
Hmmm I don't know if I've given it much thought either way.  I've never made one nor have I ever saw one cut up- so that may be a different story.  I just wanted to thank you for the entertainment- I was reading the posts and giggling with the mental pictures :)
Well, I've watched people free-hand model them (the cake and the toppers).  So my guess is yes, certain people have that skill.  Me, not so much.  But I'll give it a try someday.  I never think I have talent for much and then I try it - and a lot of times I surprise myself.... other times I was correct to begin with.  LOL!

JJ Becker said:
You think people are free handing these?  I assume there's some kind of mould being used...

Dawn Becker said:

I don't mind it when it's a cake topper.  When these are in gumpaste or fondant if kept out of direct sunlight they literally last forever.  So most new mothers want to keep those and they are never cut.

 

But when the cake itself resembles a live baby, it is weird.  I agree.  But bottom line - it's just a cake, people - it's not a baby.  I have never made one - I'm convinced I'd never be able to pull it off.  But I know it would not bother me to make one - and I would think it weird while cutting it - but I'd get over it real quick.

 

How is this any different than those edible image pictures of your kids?  You are still slicing right through those pretty little faces.

 

So glad to hear that I am not the only one who doesn't like those "belly"cakes. And for me, with the baby butt cakes,  it was the idea that you were eating the diaper....uggggh.  Just wrong!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service