Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Good morning everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone has doctored the Betty Crocker cake box mix before?  If so, what's involved in it? What additional ingredients would you put?  And does this give you more batter per box?

Any thoughts or your experience would be great!!

Views: 3378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Linda....so i couldn't wait until today to try this so I gave it a go last night!!

I did what you had mentioned above...the cake seemed a little sweet, even my husband said the same thing.  Can I cut back the sweetness to 1/2 cup sugar or will that be a problem?  And just out of curiosity...what does the sour cream do for the cake? 

Also thinking about it now, adding the sugar and flour would add to the cost of the cake no?

I am sure you can cut back on the sugar. It shouldn't have any effect on the cake. The sour cream seems to make a denser cake that is more like a homemade cake.

Meera said:

Hey Linda....so i couldn't wait until today to try this so I gave it a go last night!!

I did what you had mentioned above...the cake seemed a little sweet, even my husband said the same thing.  Can I cut back the sweetness to 1/2 cup sugar or will that be a problem?  And just out of curiosity...what does the sour cream do for the cake? 

Also thinking about it now, adding the sugar and flour would add to the cost of the cake no?

Meera,

If you go to the recipe section, there are many doctored cake mix recipes there.   I have tried a number of them and everyone liked them.  Sometimes I'm not in the mood to bake from scratch.  I actually made one this week which is a pumpkin cake with pumpkin mousse filling which is delicious. I noticed that you used a Betty Crocker mix.  They changed the mix.  It is less than DH & Pillsbury.  That might be why you found it too sweet.

I agree...Duncan Hines seems to be the most favorite.

Goreti said:

Meera,

If you go to the recipe section, there are many doctored cake mix recipes there.   I have tried a number of them and everyone liked them.  Sometimes I'm not in the mood to bake from scratch.  I actually made one this week which is a pumpkin cake with pumpkin mousse filling which is delicious. I noticed that you used a Betty Crocker mix.  They changed the mix.  It is less than DH & Pillsbury.  That might be why you found it too sweet.

Pilsbury is my favorite, then Duncan Hines.  Won't use that BC stuff!

Monarch brand here,  now Otker...in Canada is brand I like to doctor.  Jeri C has a blog here on CWB with a lot of terrific doctored mixes. There is also a website called "The cake mix doctor". Check that out.

I have an original Dr. Oetker Cook book that I got while living in Germany. It is all on cakes and pastires, June! I've never heard of Monarch. I'm going to check out that site you mentioned.

June Kowalczyk said:

Monarch brand here,  now Otker...in Canada is brand I like to doctor.  Jeri C has a blog here on CWB with a lot of terrific doctored mixes. There is also a website called "The cake mix doctor". Check that out.

Well Monarch goes WAaaay back to the 1940's here in Canada. I remember my Mom buying all kinds of Monarch products.  They got "bought out" so many times, lost count who actually MADE their product.   I  know  now they are owned by Otker, which also took over Shreiff brand, which is equivelant to Jello. It was also around from the 20's...40's.  Yes, I have thought about buying that book, the cake mix doctor.

Speaking of books. Learned from my cake group there is a book site call The Book Depository. It is British, with a Canadian site, but there is NO DELIVERY FEE...PERIOD...anywhere....worldwide.  How about that.

June, I actually went to the library to get the books Cake Mix Doctor but then didn't try any of the recipes.  I recently lost 16 lbs and want to lose 5 more so I'm trying to stay away from cakes.   All I'm doing right now is cakes to GIVE away.  I read thru the books and there were some recipes that looked yummy.

ohhhhhhh, I am GREEN with envy, Goreti!! Good for you! Ever since George had his knee operated on the stress was so great during that time that I just ate. Now I am in a pickle trying to get it off, and I am having a heck of a time!

Goreti said:

June, I actually went to the library to get the books Cake Mix Doctor but then didn't try any of the recipes.  I recently lost 16 lbs and want to lose 5 more so I'm trying to stay away from cakes.   All I'm doing right now is cakes to GIVE away.  I read thru the books and there were some recipes that looked yummy.

Hasn't been easy Linda.  I haven't had bread (except for reduced carb lavash bread), pasta & rice since September.  Potatoes I might have 1 a week which is my splurge.  Snacking is low fat yogurt, fruit, nuts and trying to stay away from sweets all together. Over the years this is the only way I can lose weight and after 50 it has been even harder.  I eat whatever protein I made for hubby but I have either salad, stir fry veggies and instead of pasta I cook brocolli slaw.  I just have to keep this up so that the weight doesn't come back on.  I really miss my Portuguese bread.  There is a bakery 15 min away that makes the best Portuguese bread.  It is torture to have that in the car sometimes still hot and not eat any but gotta do what I gotta do.  Mind you my hubby has had the same weight for over 20 yrs --sickening.  Still wears size 34 pants.

Hey Goreti,

I think i found it sweet after adding the sugar, but i can drop that sugar amount.  Also I can try the other brands and try it out! Let me check out the receipe section now...

Goreti said:

Meera,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service