Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Did you guys hear about the baker that was competing on Buddy's show that committed suicide?

Did you guys hear about the baker that was competing on Buddy's show that committed suicide?

Views: 731

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just read about that on the news! I could not believe it. That poor family-I just hope that they had given permission for those episodes that he was in to be shown. Otherwise, that would have been just too cruel to the family, even if a waver had been signed in advance.

Wow, I did not even think about that. I figure they must have...

I feel like the kind of cakes I love are more art than something that should have a first or second place ribbon on it. Why are people so competitive? Why does there always have to be winners and losers? We are creators! What we do is fun, amazing and it makes people happy. There is nothing wrong with healthy competition but I think TV is starting to go overboard with it. I love watching those shows myself but I really dislike the coy grins on competitor's faces when a fellow competitor gets a harsh critique, or when teammates throw each under the bus. Then when I found out about this tragedy...
People always tell me to apply to these shows... that is def not my goal. I know myself too well for that. 

You and me both, Queen. I'm not interested in any kind of competition either. I love looking at other people's cakes, and not because I want to tear their work down, but just to admire their talents. I'm guilty too of watching those shows...but in all honesty, there is NO WAY I would ever ever put myself into such a vulnerable position. When did cakes become something to put others down? When did cakes become something that had to be bigger and better than anyone elses? I enjoy the miniature talents as much as the spectacular. I just love the art of cakes. That's just my opinion.

Queens of Sweet said:

Wow, I did not even think about that. I figure they must have...

I feel like the kind of cakes I love are more art than something that should have a first or second place ribbon on it. Why are people so competitive? Why does there always have to be winners and losers? We are creators! What we do is fun, amazing and it makes people happy. There is nothing wrong with healthy competition but I think TV is starting to go overboard with it. I love watching those shows myself but I really dislike the coy grins on competitor's faces when a fellow competitor gets a harsh critique, or when teammates throw each under the bus. Then when I found out about this tragedy...
People always tell me to apply to these shows... that is def not my goal. I know myself too well for that. 

I agree 100% :)

The nonsense talented artists have to endure to achieve recognition is ridiculous. No one should have to be humiliated the way cake decorators are for the sake of entertainment and drama. This is precisely why Julie Bashore founded the Sugar Arts Institute. She has experienced it first hand. It's time for cake decorators to be respected for their talent and to earn recognition in a dignified manner! Our goal is to give cake decorators the respect they deserve without the torture!

I agree, Theresa. Cake artistry has been cheapened so much by the competitive nature of these shows. Cakes don't have to be as big as a house to be impressive, and they don't have to have fireworks or spinning wheels to make them a work of art. It's the creativity of someones imagination and abilities that bring that about. I just hope that this young man that committed suiside did not do it over the pressures of a TV competition show. If it did contribute to it, then it's time to redefine these shows and get back to the beauty that cake art was meant to be.

Theresa Happe said:

The nonsense talented artists have to endure to achieve recognition is ridiculous. No one should have to be humiliated the way cake decorators are for the sake of entertainment and drama. This is precisely why Julie Bashore founded the Sugar Arts Institute. She has experienced it first hand. It's time for cake decorators to be respected for their talent and to earn recognition in a dignified manner! Our goal is to give cake decorators the respect they deserve without the torture!

I saw at the end of the last show that it was decicated to him, but did not know why. i thought maybe he died in an accident or something.

Give me a show that shows me how to do the decorating instead of building a cake that's all metal and wood frame and Rice Krispie treats that I would never have on opportunity or an interest in creating.

Lol, folks eating hardware :)

I agree, Ann. 100%

Ann Hanson said:

Give me a show that shows me how to do the decorating instead of building a cake that's all metal and wood frame and Rice Krispie treats that I would never have on opportunity or an interest in creating.

I agree with everyone!  I have NOT been watching any of Buddy's shows lately.  I can even tape them and I decided not to do it.  I like to learn and have great ideas to inspire me and not see people get yelled at or humiliated.  I'm glad I did not see any of this series this time!

The last time I watched the Next Great Baker was when Jay was in it.  The other show was when Edna was the assistant on the other cake show, the show name escapes me, sorry.

Buddy's show is not as good when he started out in the beginning.  I believe I'm done with him - it is just not my type of caking.  It is not something I would ever do or want to eat. 

LMBO! I agree! I don't count all that stuff as cake decoarting, cause there just isn't a wholelot cake to it. I don't like this cake competition either. It seems like the goal for Buddy is to bully and intimidate. The show just comes off as phony.

Queens of Sweet said:

Lol, folks eating hardware :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service