Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone!  I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on making a damask cake.  I definitely would not know how to pipe it so I was thinking of buying a stencil and using royal icing.  Any ideas?  Would this be very time consuming?  I would appreciate your comments as soon as possible as I need to respond to a customer but want to make sure I can do before I say "yest" since this would be my first time.  Thanks.

Views: 2140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh Terry! My friend decorator and I were on this very subject today as we both have damask cakes to do this week! That design is so popular right now. I have researched and you tubed and read, read, read- and am still very nrevous! I so hope you get some good replies so we can learn right along with you on this subject! Good luck and keep me posted on how it goes!
I sure will. I've tried to find molds to attach to the cake but have not been able to find any. I have a Cricut and was hoping to find one in one of the cartridges but I didn't. The only thing I have found are stencils.
the cricut cake has a catridge for the damask - called elegant cakes
Here's an idea that comes out really well. You'll need a large damask stencil and airbrush color (or diluted paste color), a sponge brush, and pearl luster dust.

Roll out your fondant. Lay the stencil and top and roll over the stencil to get it embedded into the fondant. Dip the sponge into the color and dab it over the pattern. You can do this in any number of colors you want. Then sprinkle the pearl dust over the stencil and use a brush to brush it over the pattern. The pearl dust will set the color so it won't smear off. Remove the stencil and then apply the fondant to the cake.
Thanks for your response. I have the Elegant Cakes cartridge but I didn't see it. Which one is it?

Pink Princess Cakes said:
the cricut cake has a catridge for the damask - called elegant cakes
Thanks for your help Theresa. I will keep that in mind. I have two other cakes for the same day I got this order and I am afraid to take it on since it is a completed theme. I would have to buy the stencil which is probably costly unless I use the Cricut as I was told it has a damask cut out. What do you think?

Theresa Happe said:
Here's an idea that comes out really well. You'll need a large damask stencil and airbrush color (or diluted paste color), a sponge brush, and pearl luster dust.

Roll out your fondant. Lay the stencil and top and roll over the stencil to get it embedded into the fondant. Dip the sponge into the color and dab it over the pattern. You can do this in any number of colors you want. Then sprinkle the pearl dust over the stencil and use a brush to brush it over the pattern. The pearl dust will set the color so it won't smear off. Remove the stencil and then apply the fondant to the cake.
That depends whether you already own a Cricut. If you have one, by all means, that makes sense. The large damask stencil I've seen for about $60.
Go to cricut.com or even YouTube and type damask cakes, see if they have suggestions there. I was under the impression that damask isn't just ONE specific pattern. Like the pic on the Elegant Cakes box.
I think you are right. I was just trying to make a pattern as close to the invitation as possible but I'm going to ask if another pattern is okay to see if I use the pattern on the Cricut. Thanks again.
Have you tried MIchaels? They have a big selection of stencils.
Not yet but I think I'll use the Cricut if there is one there. I think it might be easier and prettier don't you think??
The Elegant Cake for the cricuit would have those patterns. Of course they might not be exact. I think you would have to make your own stencil to be exact to the invitation. Remember with the Cricuit you have to cut that pattern 3" or larger. Are you going to do it in black on a white fondant? That is such a pretty look. I have never done it, but have the Cricuit and that cartiage. Good Luck.... I know how you feel about new techniques. I have a Noah's Ark cake for this weekend and am scared to start making sclupted animals.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service