Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

It looks like the velvet cakes have it - so I think it will be a very yummy February indeed!  I'm including a pink velvet and a red velvet recipe for you all to try out and enjoy.  Happy caking!

Pink Velvet Cake

2 1/4 C all purpose flour

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (about 3/4 C)

1 1/2 C white sugar

4 large eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/4 C milk

8 oz white chocolate, melted

Pink gel food colouring

1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

2. Beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth.

3. Add sugar to the creamed butter and beat until fluffy.

4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

5. Add vanilla extract and mix well.

6. Alternately beat in dry ingredients and milk - starting and ending with the dry ingredients.

7. Add melted white chocolate and mix until just incorporated.

8. Add a few drops of gel food colouring until the desired pink colour is acheived (usually 1/8 to 1/4 tsp is enough).

9. Bake cake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until done.  For cupcakes, bake for about 20 minutes.

People rave about Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet, so when I came across the recipe for his cake, I had to add it to my recipe book!  It is definitely very yummy and a lot easier than my original tried and true red velvet recipe. Enjoy!

Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet Cake

2 1/2 C cake flour

1 1/2 C white sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp fine salt (like popcorn salt)

1 tsp cocoa powder

1 C buttermilk

2 eggs

1 tsp white distilled vinegar

1 1/2 C vegetable oil

1 oz red food colouring (McCormick liquid red food colouring works great)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Sift together all of the dry ingredients.

2. Put wet ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat together with an electric mixer at medium speed until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.

3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture until all of the ingredients are combined.

4. Pour the batter into prepared baking tins and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until done.

I hope you all enjoy making these valentine's inspired cakes.

Views: 544

Replies to This Discussion

Great job everyone.  I can't wait to try this recipe.  I was going ot do it for this weekend.  Mardi Gras is starting up and my family is gathering.  I have made 2 cakes for them in the past two weekends.  And now I am not feeling good.  I may try it next week.  I have another weekend of gather going on for Mardi Gras so we will see.  Then the following weekend my best friend asked me to make the Groom's cake for her daughter's wedding.  So now I have another cake.  I do plan to make these soon.  Great job everyone.

Hi all,

I have had the worst weekend baking :(  Things just were not going right.  My kitchen is going under reno, so i used a gas oven to make my red velvet cakes for clients for vday, usually i have my electric oven!  The temperature just wouldn't set in right - the cakes domed a lot, did not rise and the sides of the cake were hard and over baked and dry!!! :(  So i have to make 2 more batches of the Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet Cake tonight.

Can anyone PLEASE advise on what the heck may have gone wrong, or what I can do differently to ensure that the cakes bake properly and not overbake.  I put them at 350 degrees.  Any advice would be great...

I'm tired, frustrated and in need of desperate help...:(

Thank you!
Meera

If you have the time, get an oven thermometer to check the temp in the gas oven. Personally I bake my cakes at 325 and for cakes 8" or larger, I use the upside flower nails or heating cores to make sure they bake evenly and that usually helps! Also check your baking soda and flour - just make sure they are fresh as well :) don't get down hearted! We all have those days where the cakes just don't bake the way they should. Just get some rest and try again!

Thanks Faith, yes the soda and flour were fresh! But i will try to bake it at 325 today and see what happens...

The gas oven that i am using has both "BAKE" and "CONVEC BAKE"...is there a difference and if so, which one should I be using?

I would just use bake. Convec bake is probably the convection baking, which will bake it faster.  I'm not that familiar with convection baking so I just stick with what I know :).  I hope baking at the lower temp will work out for you!!

Smiles,

Faith

Faith - i'm back with another question hoping you can help me out!!

I will be doing a 14" x 14" x 2" square and using the Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet Cake receipe.  Any idea how many batches I would need for one bake? I am thinking 3 batches to fill up the pan, maybe 4.  Have you done it this big?

Thanks for your help!!

I have tripled the recipe successfully, I think a triple recipe should be more than enough for a 14" square.  Just make sure you use a heating core or baking strips.  I also bake my larger pans at a slightly lower temperature.

Thanks a lot Faith I will be doing that!! Will let you know how it goes...Cheers :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service