Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone,

Ive spent hours looking at nozzels today and the more i look, the more im getting confused !

Ive noticed that they all have numbers and letters. Are these standard ?

I have 6 nozzels at the moment that was a set, they have numbers and letters on them.

I bought an extra one a ' closed star rose swirl' to do the pretty ' open rose' look on some cupcakes.

Although, i think i bought the wrong one. I have tried it and i cant do it !  It just looks a mess so i cried and gave up :-(

I dont know what im doing wrong? Is it my buttercream or me ?!!

I would love to be able to do this! But also i need a large one for this giant cupcake.

Does it need to be a particular one, like ' open star'  or 'closed star' ?

I dont know which would look best on a giant cupcake?

Thank you for any help

A very confused

Lisa

:-)

Views: 1907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lisa, I am so happy for you.  Santa was very good to you.  Sorry about your grandfather but now you can whip some delicious things for him to try.  Have fun with your new toy.  It's a nice one.

Thank you Goreti, ive just mixed up a batch of butter icing OMG !!! How easy was that !! Ha ! Its taken me an hour to switch it on, was so scared !! The butter cream looks SO DIFFERENT !!!! I hadnt heard of the name before, so i didnt know if it was a good one . It says it can only be used for 4 mins and it needs a rest for 5-10 mins Does that mean 4 mins on full speed ?

Thanks again

lis x 

Ive now got a problem with ' frilly ' edges ? Is my mix too dry or too wet ?

Lis

Ok, panick over! Its air in my bag.

Ive followed the link that June has kindly given me but im still haing probs. Can anyone help ?

Thanks lis

Wow Wow Lisa

Congrats..... SOooooo happy for you and hats off the the BF!!!!!   I have 2 mixers. A Bosch, 1000 watts &  my kitchenaid which is about 500 watts.  Both have a dough hooks, which I use a  lot.  On the lower left of the 2nd pic, is the perfect paddle for BC icing & cakes. It is the black one with the rubber edge. That mixes AND scrapes your bowl, all in one motion. I am assuming that your paddle does the figure "8" in the bowl whilst turining. When you use the standard paddle, the white one in your pic, you have to lift the beater uo every so often to scrape the bowl. Now the rubber edged paddle isn't good for a heavy mixture, not strong enough. That is where your standard white paddle comes in. I paid $22 ( approx 33 Lbs )  for mine for my KA rubber sided paddle.... and that was on sale!!  But it was worth every penny.  Use it all the time. Can't wait to hear about your next batch of icing....  Who Hooooo  gonna have fun in the kitchen!!!  :o)

Ok here it is, still struggling to get the air out my bag but...sorry i dont know how to turn pics round . Is this any better ? Are these roses too big ?Lis x

On your computer when you are saving your pics, underneath there should be several arrows. You click on them and they will rotate your photo. Computer saves the image.  Your rosettes are fine if this is how you want to decorate your cake. There is no right or wrong way. Just how you decide. Make sure your rosettes are close together so you don't have any gaps in between. If you do by chance end up with gaps, fill in with smaller bc rosettes, or another decoration... like a fondant flower... use your imagination. Make sure you mix your icing at a lower speed. Length of time is not a issue, but the higher the speed, the more air you incorporate into your icing. Not good for piping.

Bet it was dead easy making a batch!!!!  :o)

Thanks ;-) Oh was it ever ?!!!!!! Couldnt belive it lol I made 3 in the time it took me to do one with other thing i was using HA ! Ok, so lower speed, got it !

Ive got to put on sugarpaste flowers and butterflies, but i will try to keep them together/closer, like i did on the one i tried on sunday. I was thinking of doing what i did on sun, with the smaller nozz ( before i found my large nozz in the bin !)

Im a little worried about the bit that says only 4 mins at at time ? Would this mean low speeds or does that refer to higher speeds ? Sorry for all the questions !

Thanks again June :-) 

Hi Lis - I've been away from the computer for a bit, so have only just got back to this.  I think June has answered your questions, so not much more for me to add, except - your roses look terrific!  Buttercream looks like a good consistency to me. As you're going to put flowers and butterflies on the top, I would say a few small gaps here and there would not be a bad thing, as you will have somewhere to put them, without covering up your roses.  

Funny how we all have different ways of doing things (and you will develop your own too).  June says use a lower speed - I put mine on a high speed and beat it for quite a while.  It ends up fluffy and very light to eat.  I wonder if maybe the difference is the tools we use and the way we make our icings.

But there is nothing like practise to find the best way for you.

I would think the time thing on your beater would be at a higher speed.  You are putting more strain on the motor at high speeds and it can get hot.  I must say though that only 4 minutes with a 5-10 minute break sounds a bit odd to me.  You could find that quite frustrating.  What make is your mixer?  I'll try and do some research on it when I get a minute.

All in all, it sounds like you are on the road to success and big brownie points to bf for getting this for you.

Sorry to hear about your grandad, and hope he is soon feeling much better. xx

Yes, Lisa
Went back over the posts here & read about your grandad. So sorry. :0(
Funny Katy, I do have a recipe where you beat your BC on high for about 5 min. But it is made with 100% shortening. If you do the same for a all butter, icing will breakdown. Butter gets soft from heat of mixer. I mostly make 1/2 & 1/2 butter & shortening for my icing.

Thank you darlin, Want sure about the roses, getting frilly edges here and there thought maybe it was the air in bag. I showed a pic of the one i did on sunday to one of my friends, who knows the girl im doing the cake for, she said she will love it, so must be doing something right!! All thanks to all of you !

The mixer is an Andrew James 1000w.

I thought that was a bit odd about the 4 min thing !

Both the batches i made, i started on low then on high for maybe 2mins at most. I dont know if this is causing the frilly bit- if im mixing it too much or not quite enough.

Ive put the butter icing in the fridge as its starting to melt a little, its had a lot of use !!!

If i could just get rid of the frilly bits id be an exreamly happy bunny !

Thank you so much.

Lis x

Your icing & rosettes look terrific. I don't know what you mean when you say "frilly bits"? I think what it might be is your icing "crusting" which is completely normal. Suppose to look like that. But without actully seeing up close, this is my best guess. Not to worry, don't get stressed out. It looks great, & I know your cupcake will bowl them over. :0)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service