Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone,

Ive spent hours looking at nozzels today and the more i look, the more im getting confused !

Ive noticed that they all have numbers and letters. Are these standard ?

I have 6 nozzels at the moment that was a set, they have numbers and letters on them.

I bought an extra one a ' closed star rose swirl' to do the pretty ' open rose' look on some cupcakes.

Although, i think i bought the wrong one. I have tried it and i cant do it !  It just looks a mess so i cried and gave up :-(

I dont know what im doing wrong? Is it my buttercream or me ?!!

I would love to be able to do this! But also i need a large one for this giant cupcake.

Does it need to be a particular one, like ' open star'  or 'closed star' ?

I dont know which would look best on a giant cupcake?

Thank you for any help

A very confused

Lisa

:-)

Views: 1907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks June, I think my butter icing was a better cosistancy this time. I did have a look at meringue powder but at £6 i couldnt afford it !!! I was surprised that the nozzel was less than £2 !

I also got some tala disposable bags.  

If i got a bit more practise in, would these be acceptable for the normal sized cupcakes ? Or should i try a perfect the Rose instead ?

Thanks to you both

;-)

Lis 

This is more than acceptable for normal cupcakes.  Your consistency is so very important when piping. Medium to firm for what you are doing. You can tell if your icing is right by putting it on a spatula, and it shouldn't fall off, but sticks to the spatula. There are a few techniques you can do with this tip... a shell, a star of course, a rope. Instructions all found on the web. Play around usuing the bag at different angles. I turn a bowl upside down and decoratate on it. Then I can scrape the icing off and put back into my bag to use again.  :o)

Lisa - I think you'll do just fine with this after a few more goes.  Try to make sure you have no air bubbles in your bag by squeezing the icing down tight before you start piping.  That should avoid any little holes in your pattern. And you're going to put toppers on anyway aren't you?

Thank you June, i think i was going wrong the fist attempt the other day as i was holding the bag at the wrong angle, not straight. I definatly think my main prob was my consistancy . I turned the plastic pots i kept that had cheescake in upside down and used them, then scraped it off and reused it. Bf goes mad with all the little pots i keep lol ;-)

Thank you Katy, i will make sure i do this now. Yes im putting on flowers and butterflies. Im a little worried about using lard ( is this right ?) to get the white butter icing white.

Would the white chocolate not make it white or whiter ? I did try this with some chocolate a while back and it hardend in bag and clogged up the piping tube lol And needless to say i got covered !!

Ive got to make cupcakes for my aunt who comes to visit every 2 weeks. Its not till thursday but i want to make them NOW !! with my new nozzel LOL !!

Thanks

Lis

Shortening....Trex....you can use lard in a pinch... it certainly has the high fat ratio you need to make icing. I have used it in a pinch.  I have added a small amount when I ran out of shortening.  You mentioned meringue powder is expensive. It is hear too. I buy pasturized egg whites from the grocery store, make a small batch of royal icing. When it is hot weather, and I want my icing to stand up to the humidity, or I just want a good crusting icing, I had 1/2 batch of the royal icing to my buttercream. I always have a container of pasturized egg whites in my freezer, so if I don't have meringue powder, I do the royal icing thing.    So much fun Lisa, eh??? 

FUN ?? !!! only joking ;- D  Yes it is ha!

I have , think, read somewhere about adding egg whites ? I might be wrong on that one. I was just worried about getting it white, i didnt know if the white chocolate would do that. The prob is, i dont do alot of chocolate as it were, i dont actually like chocolate !!

So i havent really made chocolate butter icing only the one where it set in the piping bag lol!

Thanks June :-)

Lisa you can buy icing whitener.  Never used it, so couldn't offer an opinion.  Personally I wouldn't put lard anywhere near icing - again never done it, but just the thought of it.  Surely it would make it 'barfy' wouldn't it?  White Flora possibly?

White chocolate isn't really that white is it, so I wouldn't think it would change the colour much....

I can't remember if it had to be butter icing?  If not, what about cream cheese frosting - then you could use Philadelphia cream cheese, which is white.

btw - the longer you beat your icing, the paler it will go I believe.

Thats what i thought about using lard !!  Thanks for the tip.

She has asked for white chocolate butter icing. I id think of a ganache but, im thinking that will cost me too much to do? Do i use the philly with the icing sugar as usual ?

I have heard of icing whitener. 

I also got some candy melts to day, i found how to make modeling chocolate !!

Thanks Katy

:-) 

Blimey - you're really going for it aren't you?  Modelling chocolate too now eh?  Good luck with that - never dared try it yet as I'm a messy,  hamfisted little beggar.

Yep, mix the cream cheese with the icing sugar - make sure you use full fat or it will most likely be runny.  You'll still need a bit of butter, but not so much.

Ok, thank you so much, cant wait to try it. Got to wait in for delivery tomorow so will give it a go :-)

The modelling choc, i came across it by mistake. I managed to get some liquid glucose from my chemist, and as its classed as food...no VAT !!! My To Do List  &  To Try List keeps getting longer !!! lol

Thanks again :-)

Lis

Getting Worse !!

I done some more practise earlier but i dont seem to have improved any ! lol

Im still haiving problems with air in my bag.

I think my buttercream wasnt quite right either yesterday was better consistancy could it be the food gel ?

:-(  Im not happy ! ..

Oh dear, poor Lisa.  Things really aren't going your way are they.  It's a bit hard to tell from the pics, but it does look like there's something wrong with your butter icing.  The actual piping itself is fine and will be great when we get to the bottom of the problem.  It almost looks like the icing is trying to separate out somehow.  How about you tell me exactly what you have used to make your butter icing and the quantities and I'll see if there's anything obvious.  I wonder if maybe it's as simple as you are not beating it for long enough.  Do you use a mixer?  I use both liquid and occasionally gel colouring and don't have any problem with either that I can remember.

Feeling for you Lisa, please don't despair.  I'm almost tempted to jump in the car and bomb down to Dorset to help you sort it out lol! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service