Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone,

Ive spent hours looking at nozzels today and the more i look, the more im getting confused !

Ive noticed that they all have numbers and letters. Are these standard ?

I have 6 nozzels at the moment that was a set, they have numbers and letters on them.

I bought an extra one a ' closed star rose swirl' to do the pretty ' open rose' look on some cupcakes.

Although, i think i bought the wrong one. I have tried it and i cant do it !  It just looks a mess so i cried and gave up :-(

I dont know what im doing wrong? Is it my buttercream or me ?!!

I would love to be able to do this! But also i need a large one for this giant cupcake.

Does it need to be a particular one, like ' open star'  or 'closed star' ?

I dont know which would look best on a giant cupcake?

Thank you for any help

A very confused

Lisa

:-)

Views: 1907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Goreti.

Ooooh, what i wouldnt give, to pipe like that ! lo

I will try again tomorow, hopfully it will be better .

Thank you all

Lis x

Lisa

I make my buttercream cream with 250 gms, 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening ( like Trex )... a little flavoring of choice, possible few drops of milk, icing sugar.  But most important, 15-30 ml of meringue powder added. This helps your icing "crust".

Don't despair over your piping Lisa, it takes lots of practice. When I took my Wilton course....... many moons ago, I made SOoooo much icing, & piped, & piped, & piped, till I thought my hands would fall off.... hee hee

I still have so much to learn as far as piping.... it is not  easy, but some of the simple techniques can be mastered with practice.  :o) 

Thank you June for your help.

I only thought shortening was used to keep the butter icing white !! Boy,ive got alot to learn!

I will try this too. Im just worried i wont have enough time to get my piping right ! I will try again today.

So if you all hear any screaming, dont worry its just me Lol !

Thank you

:-)

Lis

You know the easiest tip to use are the star tips, #14, #16,#18. Obviously 14 is smaller to 18, larger opening. Just plain star tipping gives a nice effect, especially if there are 2 different shades of the same icing colour. Wilton makes a cupcake kit which includes tips, bags & instruction book. Bought it when I had to do 100 cupcakes for a wedding. I did a giant cupcake, it is with my pics on my page. I used a glittery gift bag, took it apart & pleated it to make a cupcake "paper" for the cake to "sit" in. In hindsight, I should have bought 2 bags, because when I pleated it, of course, it became half the size. All in all tho, it came out Ok.
I am sure you can find a tutorial on YouTube to help guide you, in making your cupcake & piping. Somehow I think there is giant cupcake instructions on: sugarteachersblogspot.com. Let us know your progress. :0)

Wow!  I like the  the gift bags ! What a brill idea!! I was wondering what to sit it in !

Ive just been on YouTube, found a couple of good ones..Xanthe Milton ? They all make it look so easy.

I think the prob im having is my buttercream more than anything. sugarteachers is where i learnt my flowers and shoes!!  I will have another look on there. Two shades ? Oh dear lol.

Im ordering the mould today, thought i would also get a little cupcake stand to put the normal sized cupcakes on.

I might go to the cake supplies and see what nozzels they have.

I did have a look at them a few weeks ago,but at the time didnt think it was worth getting one just yet ! Also, i wont have to wait for one to turn up i can play now !!

Thank you so much :-)

Lis

Hey Lisa - look what I just found!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sPv_65jjyY

Haven't heard any screaming yet.................x

Thanks Katy!  Brilliant!   Oh yeah ' peice of cake ' !!! lol

Am i going to have to get some large piping bags ?

rotfl!! Thats only because i havent started yet !!!  May i suggest some ear plugs ?!

Thank you hun x

What size do you have?  If you're going to do a lot of icing in the same colour, with the same nozzle, it will be easier to have a larger bag so you can do more in one go, rather than have to keep filling it up.  You can get a box of disposable ones on a roll and you just cut a hole in the end to fit your nozzle.

Lisa said:

Thanks Katy!  Brilliant!   Oh yeah ' peice of cake ' !!! lol

Am i going to have to get some large piping bags ?

rotfl!! Thats only because i havent started yet !!!  May i suggest some ear plugs ?!

Thank you hun x

Thanks Katy, ah, umm...i dont know what size they are ! lol The numbers are 3B, 2B, 2A,1C, from Amazon and the closed star is 232 ?, from Ebay auction. These are the ones i have. I think it should of been an 'open star' but these i think are normal size ? I have been looking at the diposable bags, i thought they maybe they would be better for icing a larger cake and lots of normal sized cupcakes. I didnt know if the bags go by what sized nozzel is used.

Thanks

Lisa

The disposable bags will take any size nozzle as the end is not open until you snip it off.  So you drop the nozzle you are going to use into the bag and push it down until it won't go any further. Then just ease it back a bit and snip the end off the bag so the nozzle will just come through the hole with the bag fitting snugly to it about 1cm or so clear of the end of the nozzle.  Does that make sense?  The size of the bag you will use is entirely dependant on the size of your project and how much icing you will be using.  The more you have to ice in one colour, the bigger the bag.  If you were doing a detailed picture with lots of little bits of different colours, then you would use tiny bags.  For loads of buttercream, bigger bag.  I'm an old fashioned girl and still use my metal icing pump, which I love.  But if I want to use a big nozzle (meringues, cupcakes, mashed potato), then I have to use the bags.  Here's a pic of 2 nozzles - the one on the right is standard size and fits my pump, the one on the left  is a big job and needs a bag cut to fit it.

Thanks Katy, yes, that does makes perfet sense,thank you. 

Im going to cake supplies tomorow,and see what they have, the prices of the nozzels are the same prices really so i can get one and come straight home with it. Ive spent most of the day googling and on YouTube so havent got any practice done unfortulatly ! Ive saved the videos to my favorites so i can play them as im doin it lol

I'll send out a warning tomorow !

Than you so much for you help  x

lol God Bless Youtube - there isn't a person on this site that doesn't use it, I'll bet!

you're welcome.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service