Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I am in need of a really good Chocolate Sponge Cake recipe.  I generally use a box mix for my cakes, but really want to branch out and start making them from scratch.  I have to make a Groom's cake at the beginning of September and would like to do a chocolate sponge with a chocolate mouse filling on one layer and a nice whipped cream filling in the other. 

Does anyone have a recipe I could use?  Also, I recently purchased a Kitchen Aid mixer.  If you have a recipe, could you please be specific about speed settings and attachments.  I still get a bit confused.  Thanks.

Views: 1262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd like to maybe get a 16x24x4 pan. How many batches do you think I will need?

You would need 4 batches and also bake at 325 instead of 350, only because it will back the outside faster which will cause the cake to burn on the ends

Good to know. Thanks.

So, I made the HERSHEY's cake.  It came out fantastic. My only issue with it is, it's not a very strong cake.  Meaning, when I make it in a sheet and try to layer it, the cake will completely break apart when I move each layer around.  Any ideas on how to deal with this?  The sheets I am making are 17x13x3.  The only thing I can think of doing is to cut the cakes in half before layering them.  Thanks for the help.
Lay a sheet of parchment paper, sprinkle with sugar and flip the cake tray onto that. Once you are ready to start assembling it then just grab the whole sheet and flip it. The sugar wil
Keep it from sticking to the paper.

Thanks.  But, that doesn't help with moving the layers.  the thinner the layers are, the more likely they are to fall apart.

Use a cake board the same size to transfer the sheets. Ghats how we did it at the bakery and it worked
Great idea. I was also thinking I could freeze the cake first. That may help keep it together. Thanks for the help.

I use a Wilton's cake lifter to move my cakes around.  I got one of them 8X8 lifters and its seems to do pretty well on my 12X16 inch cakes.  I usually move it around and unless I need it again I leave it under the cake till I am done.  And if in doubt you can always use 2 for a very large cake.

1- Ken -  did you ever do a test run on this cake?

2- Michelle -- so this amount of batter can make 2 -8 inch and 2 - 10 inch round cakes - that is alot of batter

Ken -sorry about the question --- for some reason when I first signed in, there was no page 2,3,4,etc..
I decided to go with the HERSHEY's.  Primarily for the ingredients.  I couldn't justify using 14 eggs per batch when I need to make like 16 batches for this cake.  Not very cost effective.  The sponge did taste good, though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service