Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I am in need of a really good Chocolate Sponge Cake recipe.  I generally use a box mix for my cakes, but really want to branch out and start making them from scratch.  I have to make a Groom's cake at the beginning of September and would like to do a chocolate sponge with a chocolate mouse filling on one layer and a nice whipped cream filling in the other. 

Does anyone have a recipe I could use?  Also, I recently purchased a Kitchen Aid mixer.  If you have a recipe, could you please be specific about speed settings and attachments.  I still get a bit confused.  Thanks.

Views: 1262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have one we use in school....don't have my binder with me here at work.

will log on when i get to school this evening and send to you!

HAPPY BAKING!
Thanks Michelle.  Much appreciated.

Michelle Williams said:

HAPPY BAKING!

Not a problem at all....I will post it even if by chance someone else has chimed in.

Ken Kramer said:

Thanks Michelle.  Much appreciated.

Michelle Williams said:

HAPPY BAKING!
Hey Michelle.  Just wondering if you found that recipe.  Thanks a ton!

GOT IT RIGHT HERE...sorry for the delay   THIS MAKES ABOUT A FULL SHEET

EGGS   11.5 OZ(7 EGGS)

EGG YOLKS  4.2 OZ (7 YOLKS)

GRANULATED SUGAR  10 OZ

VANILLA EXTRACT 1.5 FL OZ

CAKE FLOUR (SIFTED) 5.5 OZ   * FOR CHOCOLATE, REDUCE THE CAKE FLOUR BY 4 OZ AND THEN SIFT WITH 1.5 OZ OF COCOA POWDER

EGG WHITES   7 OZ (7 WHITES)

POWDERED SUGAR (SIFTED) 2 OZ

TOTAL BATTER WEIGHT IS ABOUT 2LB. 9OZ

ENOUGH FOR LIKE A SHEET PAN....SO YOU MAY WANT TO DECREASE THE AMOUNT BASED ON THE SIZE CAKE YOU NEED.

WE USE PARCHMENT PAPER TO BAKE ON, BUT AT HOME I JUST USE EITHER THE BAKER'S JOY OR THE BUTTER FLAVORED PAM OR BAKING SPRAY

6 STEPS

1  MEDIUM SPEED (4/5 SPEED)..... WHIP THE EGGS, YOLKS SUGAR AND VANILLA IN A KITCHEN AID WITH A WHISK UNTIL IT HAS A THICK RIBBON LIKE CONSISTANCY

2  LIGHTLY FOLD IN FLOUR

3  SEPARATE BOWL....WHIP TO A SOFT PEAK THE WHITES AND POWDERED SUGAR

4  FOLD THE WHIPPED EGG WHITE/POWDERED SUGAR TO YOUR YOLK MIXTURE IN 2 INCREMENTS

SPREAD EVENLY IN PREPARED BAKING PAN USING AN OFFSET SPATULA IF YOU HAVE ONE AND BAKE AT 425/F UNTIL SPRINGS BACK WHEN YOU LIGHTLY TOUCH IT (7-8 MINUTES).

HAPPY BAKING AND KEEP ME POSTED ON HOW IT TURNED OUT.

Ken Kramer said:

Hey Michelle.  Just wondering if you found that recipe.  Thanks a ton!
So is this for a 2inch sheet?  7-8 minutes doesn't seem like very long.  Also, can I use egg whites from a carton?  Or am I better off with actual eggs?  Thanks.

Sorry for all the questions.  I wanted to get the same type of pan they use in a bakery for a large sheet.  but small enough for my oven.  they look about 1 1/2 inches deep.  Does that sound right?  It will save me the trouble of cutting the cake down to layer it.  thanks again for all your help.

i thought the same...but then chef comes with the cook with your eyes and fingers....ugh   lol

soooooooooo eyes...nice chocolate color....and fingers...touch to see if it springs back....and i've also used the old fashion test...TOOTHEPICK...or even a butter knife.

Ken Kramer said:

So is this for a 2inch sheet?  7-8 minutes doesn't seem like very long.  Also, can I use egg whites from a carton?  Or am I better off with actual eggs?  Thanks.

no problem...i like to help...having so much fun in school, don't mind sharing

used this one time for a full sheet...it was 2 in  (18x24 pan)

mostly use    2-8 in round and a 2-10 in rounds (but that's because i did a few topsy turvy cakes)

never used egg whites from a carton, i prefer actual eggs.  

maybe someone else will offer advice.

Ken Kramer said:

Sorry for all the questions.  I wanted to get the same type of pan they use in a bakery for a large sheet.  but small enough for my oven.  they look about 1 1/2 inches deep.  Does that sound right?  It will save me the trouble of cutting the cake down to layer it.  thanks again for all your help.

Perfect!!  YOU ROCK!!

And you're going to rock come September.

for the cream...try making a chantilly cream...whipping cream, powdered and vanilla extract or substitute the vanilla for another flavor.

Ken Kramer said:

Perfect!!  YOU ROCK!!
Awesome!  I'm probably going to do a test run over the weekend.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service