Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Can anyone share to me a Royal icing recipe strong enough to make delicate laces??

My recipe for royal icing easily cracks when i remove it from parchment paper especially when I'm making  laces using wilton tip number 1.

Views: 1383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

royal icing:

3 large egg whites

455g to 625 icing sugar (sifted)

1 tsp lemon juice, lime juice or white vinegar

1. Strain egg white to remove string and stuff.

2. cover the egg whites and leave them overnight in the fridge.

3. beat the egg white until foamy and add 1/2 sugar gradually.

4. add the acid ingredients

5. stir in enough sugar to achieve cream consistency 

6. beat until it turns glossy and their tips stand up without bending over [stiff peak].

Notes:

Use strained egg white or reconstituted dried pure egg albumen NOT meringue powder. Meringue powder has gums etc in it.

The amount of sugar is dependant on the amount of egg white - trial & error, I'm afraid...

Try to find Pure Icing Sugar. It contains no caking agent as you have in confectioner's or powdered sugar.

Add enough acid to strengthen, but too much will make it break as it is piped.

Australian do fine lace piping and extension work using No 1, 0 and 00. Some older decorators use No 000 also, although I have not tried ...

Hi Oscar

I ALWAYS use pasturized egg whites. No chance of bacteria from just eggs you crack to get the whites. I use Alton Brown's recipe from The Food Network. Don't have it handy, but you can google for the recipe. I haven't ever had a problem with it cracking.

I ALWAYS use pasturized egg whites.

It depends on which country you live in as to whether you use fresh egg whites or not.

Alton Brown's Royal Icing

3 ounces pasteurized egg whites

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups confectioners' sugar

In large bowl of stand mixer combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy. Add confectioners' sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny. Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks. This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add food coloring, if desired. For immediate use, transfer icing to pastry bag or heavy duty storage bag and pipe as desired. If using storage bag, clip corner. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Thanks Suziq for posting the recipe. I have tried others, even used a recipe with meringue powder, but I always come back to this one. Works for me. And you are right about which country you live in. Here, in Canada, any decorating classes you take here, they will tell you that you MUST use pasturized egg whites. All health dept. here insist on it because of the possibility of bacteria.

Meringue powder, depending upon the manufacturer, has the ingredients - Sugar, Dry egg whites, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Alum, food starch, salt, gum arabic, cellulose gum and  artificial flavour. People use it for piping, but I have never tried..

Actually, that is what sort off through me off using meringue powder. All those "chemical" type ingrdients. And Each manufacturer can make it slightly different, which can play havoc with a recipe.  It does pipe nicely when making fancy scrolls, icing transfer. But like you, I have never piped a decorative border on my cake with it, just used as "the glue"

hi june

where in canada can we buy pasteurized egg whites, particular brand too, thanx

June Kowalczyk said:

Thanks Suziq for posting the recipe. I have tried others, even used a recipe with meringue powder, but I always come back to this one. Works for me. And you are right about which country you live in. Here, in Canada, any decorating classes you take here, they will tell you that you MUST use pasturized egg whites. All health dept. here insist on it because of the possibility of bacteria.

Any grocery store sells pasturized eggs Genevieve.  I buy mine 3 in a pkg @ Costco cause it is cheaper. They are frozen.

It is called "SimplyEggs" by Nature Eggs.  I assume you have a Safeway their, which I am sure carries this.

ah ok, thank you. i will now try the royal icing lace piping technique. i'm so in love with this technique if i see other decorators cake that have this but i'm so scared to try it myself.

June Kowalczyk said:

Any grocery store sells pasturized eggs Genevieve.  I buy mine 3 in a pkg @ Costco cause it is cheaper. They are frozen.

It is called "SimplyEggs" by Nature Eggs.  I assume you have a Safeway their, which I am sure carries this.

There was a cake postred here Genevieve where she used a Wilton mould, used the large rose. She put nothing but the rose all over her fondant cake & joined them up with royal icing. It was stunning. Looked like a lace.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service