Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hello everyone.  I thought I might make a first attempt at cake pops to make a change from the usual box of chocolates that I usually give a chocoholic friend for his birthday.  How do I coat the balls in icing if I'm not going to put them on sticks?  Do I use a stick and then take it out? Thanks for any tips........

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Katy, I haven't tried it yet, but I would think a candy dipping tool would work. I also know that Nadia said on her photo that she added a little fat or oil to the chocolate to thin it down so it wouldn't glob all up while dipping.

Thanks Linda.  Yes, I did wonder about a candy dipper, or a fork perhaps might also work.  I'll let you know how it works out - very messy I suspect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda Wolff said:

Katy, I haven't tried it yet, but I would think a candy dipping tool would work. I also know that Nadia said on her photo that she added a little fat or oil to the chocolate to thin it down so it wouldn't glob all up while dipping.

Well Katy

I made truffles with cookie crumbs, leftover cake & cream cheese at Christmas for my neices & nephews as a gift. It was messy but easy. I stuck them in the freezer for 5-10 min to get the balls good & firm. Then I just used two spoons and plopped the balls into a bowl of melted chocolate. Rolled them around & carefully lifted cake balls out & placed on wax paper to harden. Now mine were NO WAY NEAR as perfect & round as Nadia's. But if the cake balls were then covered with another medium, ie: coconut, fondant flowers, dragees...etc. the "flaws" wouldn't show. I can tell you, they were a HUGE hit & tasted amazing.

Hope this helps Katy.  :o)

Great June, thanks!  I'm looking forward to giving them a go.  Now if people would stop coming to visit uninvited, or asking me to do things for them or putting dirty washing in the laundry basket or expecting to be fed..........then I might find time this afternoon to get the cake made!

June Kowalczyk said:

Well Katy

I made truffles with cookie crumbs, leftover cake & cream cheese at Christmas for my neices & nephews as a gift. It was messy but easy. I stuck them in the freezer for 5-10 min to get the balls good & firm. Then I just used two spoons and plopped the balls into a bowl of melted chocolate. Rolled them around & carefully lifted cake balls out & placed on wax paper to harden. Now mine were NO WAY NEAR as perfect & round as Nadia's. But if the cake balls were then covered with another medium, ie: coconut, fondant flowers, dragees...etc. the "flaws" wouldn't show. I can tell you, they were a HUGE hit & tasted amazing.

Hope this helps Katy.  :o)

Dxx!!****  Family

I rested a week after my va-ca, but yesterday cleaned all the toilets...( Ewwww gross, 2 men alone, for 2 wks....you can just imagine!! ), scrubed the tubs, washed the shower curtains. Today, I have done about 5 loads of laundry.

AHhhhhh so nice to be back home

What is it with blokes and toilets?  Are they blind, or do they just not care.........................

So it's now 7.00 pm - I've done the washing, baked bread for tomorrow,  spent most of the morning in the bank for my husband (!?), had 2 hours of listening to uninvited people talk about things I had no interest in whatsoever, made the bed.  Managed to spend about 45 mins trying to work out how to make moulds from silicone plastique (with rubbish results, I might add - my dead dog could have done better), while waiting for the bread to rise.  And now I have to go and start getting dinner ready.  So bang goes the cake making today.  Ah well, try again tomorrow.............

Ah, I here you Katy. Since I retired, sometimes hubby forgets I am not at his beck & call. I want to choose what I do for the day, & that doesn't always include making his lunch & dinner AND doing his laundry. After the day you had I am not surprised your day was shot. And at night your'e too blinkin tired to start a new cake project. At least I am. My hubby is pretty good, but I have to tell him HE is retired too, so he can vac, dust, cook & do laundry just as well as I can. Heck, he just did the last 2 wks I was away!!  He is in the last throws of finishing a large reno, started last March/11.  I really do appreciate all the work he has done, but I can tell you Katy, can't wait till it is totally finished so I don't have to hear the...."Im doing all this, the least you can do is"..........fill in the blank.  Soon he won't have anything to do, so he will have to step back up to the plate & help with running the house. I have told him that I am beginning work on our nephew's 2-10" cakes due in 2 wks for his wedding. I will remind him that just like his projects, some cakes need things done in stages. So there will be no cleaning & cooking on those days as I will be preoccupied. I sometimes feel that since my caking is a hobby hubby feels it is a tad frivolous.  I have often lamented this to Linda. Linda's hubby is passionte about his leather making hobby, so he is very supportive of hers.  But in all fairness, if I tell him I need some "space' or "alone" time, he usually gets my drift. He needs his hockey, I need to putter with my cake craft. I get into the zone and it makes me happy :o)

Ah June - isn't it funny how people can empathise from such a distance and have more in common with someone they meet on a forum and will never meet in person, than people who live within a few miles....... I think for the most part men and women are the same all over!  I have to remember sometimes that my husband is 10 years older than I am and doesn't have my energy.  I'm sort of retired too, though not entirely from choice, so I like to keep busy and always fill my days with hobbies.  But I do get a bit fed up with being the only one to cook, clean, wash, shop etc., and feel like I have to fight not to become an appendage to other people.  That's one of the reasons why I love this forum, being able to talk to people with things in common.  So I decided to have a day off from baking today and am going to go at it with more gusto tomorrow.  Good luck with the nephews cake and you stick to your guns girl!  Looking forward to seeing the finished article! xx
June Kowalczyk said:

Ah, I here you Katy. Since I retired, sometimes hubby forgets I am not at his beck & call. I want to choose what I do for the day, & that doesn't always include making his lunch & dinner AND doing his laundry. After the day you had I am not surprised your day was shot. And at night your'e too blinkin tired to start a new cake project. At least I am. My hubby is pretty good, but I have to tell him HE is retired too, so he can vac, dust, cook & do laundry just as well as I can. Heck, he just did the last 2 wks I was away!!  He is in the last throws of finishing a large reno, started last March/11.  I really do appreciate all the work he has done, but I can tell you Katy, can't wait till it is totally finished so I don't have to hear the...."Im doing all this, the least you can do is"..........fill in the blank.  Soon he won't have anything to do, so he will have to step back up to the plate & help with running the house. I have told him that I am beginning work on our nephew's 2-10" cakes due in 2 wks for his wedding. I will remind him that just like his projects, some cakes need things done in stages. So there will be no cleaning & cooking on those days as I will be preoccupied. I sometimes feel that since my caking is a hobby hubby feels it is a tad frivolous.  I have often lamented this to Linda. Linda's hubby is passionte about his leather making hobby, so he is very supportive of hers.  But in all fairness, if I tell him I need some "space' or "alone" time, he usually gets my drift. He needs his hockey, I need to putter with my cake craft. I get into the zone and it makes me happy :o)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service