Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I attempted to make cake pops and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.  I now realize that the smaller the cake pop is the better it is.  I made some pops too big and the weight was too much for the stick.  Does anyone know what is the best chocolate to use? I used Nestle chocolate chips, melted them in the microwave with milk...I found the chocolate a bit too thick. Was wondering if chocolate for fondues would be better..Any advice would be appreciated...

Views: 465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heather,

Go find the posting on Cake Balls and I believe that you will be on track with this.  I have some pictures on my wall and remember, these are Cake Balls so they are smaller but the same idea.  I used "Seriouscakes" as my teacher to this delicious and fun project and then devised my own way of drying my cake balls.

I use merkens chocolate for mine.  I love the flavor.  If you can't get it try the Wilton brand.  It melts easy and sets up really nice too.
Add a little oil or shortening to the chocolate chips not milk...
Solecito, would oil or shortening make it more liquidity?

Solecito said:
Add a little oil or shortening to the chocolate chips not milk...
Yes, the oil or shortening will make the chocolate more liquid and easier to coat, I would recomend shortening because since it solidifies at room temerature, your chocolate will set a little more quickly than with oil. Just use a little amount of either one.

Try to use 1.5 tablespoon of cake, and when using the wilton brand candies, use 1 teaspoon of shortening to thin it out a bit.  This should work for you.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions...

I am new to this site, and thought I would share my technique and recipe for covering cake balls and such.

Using your fave poured fondant recipe, add a handfull of candy dots.

Allow to melt and keep warm over double boiler.

The fondant is easy to pour and the dots allow it to harden without being sticky or too thick.

These candy dots come in many pretty colors and yummy flavors, including chocolate.

You will not get a bright color product as the poured fondant (don't know why) will soften color to a pastel shade.

mimi

Mimi, 

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried melting fondant once and found it too sweet.  Any ways to make it not so sweet?

mimi said:

I am new to this site, and thought I would share my technique and recipe for covering cake balls and such.

Using your fave poured fondant recipe, add a handfull of candy dots.

Allow to melt and keep warm over double boiler.

The fondant is easy to pour and the dots allow it to harden without being sticky or too thick.

These candy dots come in many pretty colors and yummy flavors, including chocolate.

You will not get a bright color product as the poured fondant (don't know why) will soften color to a pastel shade.

mimi

Try a tiny bit of popcorn salt.

mimi

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service