Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hey ladies i need your expertise, i have a cake i want to make the person wants black fondant my question is if im using mmf how to get it black or should i just go with buying black fondant because i heard trying to make black  fondant from home is useless...

Views: 724

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All you ladies are the best really are thanx
will this work for choc brown fondant,omitting the black coloring?
How do you make your red fondant?

Keegan Luvs Cake said:
I also came across a fabulous red MMF too.

Keegan Luvs Cake said:
I agree with Sonia! True Black MMF is awesome! I thought my Satin was still good but it was purple so I made it the MMF recipe because it would never get here in time and it was very black.
Joann-it's brown if you don't add the black.

ALSO-please share the red fondant recipe........how do you do it differently than just adding red?
This was from Sugar Sweet Cakes & Treats: She was awesome to share this. You can become a fan on Facebook to see the red Ferrari cake.

Recipe & Hints - Marshmallow Fondant (MMF)
by Sugar Sweet Cakes & Treats on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 at 10:50pm

Marshmallow Fondant (MMF)

- 16 oz Bag Generic Mini Marshmallow’s (not Jet Puffed)

- 2 lbs C&H Powdered Sugar, Shifted to remove any lumps (abbreviated "PS")

- 2 Tbsp Water

- Shortening or Crisco (keeps the MMF from sticking to surfaces)

- 1 tsp Light Corn Syrup (optional, makes it more pliable when adding color)

Directions:

1) Coat a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp shortening, add marshmallows, sprinkle with water.

2) Coat a spatula really well with shortening.

3) Microwave for 30 sec intervals, stirring really well with the spatula in between each interval. DO NOT microwave for more than 3 intervals (it will break down the marshmallows and you end up with a ton of air bubbles in your finished product). Stirring really well will help distribute the heat and melt the marshmallows thoroughly.

4) If needed, add any flavoring or color to the melted marshmallows (see Hints below). You can always add more coloring to it as you are kneading in the PS so don’t worry if you don’t get the color you want initially.

5) Grease a table or counter top really well with shortening and add ½ of the PS onto it. Create a well in the PS and pour the melted marshmallows into it. Grease your hands with a thick coating of shortening and knead the powdered sugar into the melted marshmallows (work fast, you don’t want the marshmallow to cool and see Hint #1 below).

6) Keep rubbing more shortening into your hands as needed. Add more powdered sugar and keep kneading until it forms a smooth ball of dough and is no longer sticky (feels a lot like play dough). Coat the dough really well with a thick coating of shortening, cover in saran wrap tightly, cover again in a 2nd layer of saran wrap and store in an air tight container or Zip Lock Bag overnight (sugar incorporates and any lumps melt away).

7) Knead again until soft before using it: If too dry, add a few drops of water or if sticky, add more PS.

Notes:

1) I have never used the entire 2 lbs of Powdered Sugar. Depending on the weather and humidity, I use anywhere from 1-1/2 lbs to 1-3/4 lbs.

2) Optional: When making colored MMF, add a tsp of Corn Syrup to the MMF as you are kneading in the PS. It makes it more pliable especially if you make darker colors. When I make white, I don’t find a need to add the Corn Syrup.

3) You can store the MMF at room temperate for about 3 months, in the fridge for a couple months or in the freezer for a very long time. Just keep it wrapped and let it come to room temperature before using it. If really hard, zap in microwave for about 10 secs to soften it slightly then knead by hand.

4) You can make the MMF by using a powerful Kitchen Aide (KA) with a dough hook, coat bowl and hook really well with shortening. I personally like doing it by hand; you can feel if the dough is the right consistency. When I've used the KA, the PS gets compacted along the bottom and sides of the bowl which I have to scrap off leaving large lumps of PS in the MMF...not good, plus more dishes to wash after wards.

5) If the MMF is too stretchy, let it sit uncovered for about 5 minutes to cool down and settle a bit, you may have overworked it and got it too warm. Also, MMF will take more PS if too warm so don't add more than the 2 lbs or else you'll end up with a big, lumpy, crumbly ball once completely cooled.

Hints:

1) Don’t dig your hands into the melted marshmallows or else you will get a big, sticky mess on thy fingers. You want to FOLD the PS into the melted marshmallows and after doing this a couple times, you will be able to handle the marshmallows without it sticking like glue to your fingers. If you do get a sticky mess on the hands, rub them with PS and it will peel right off.

2) Use flavored jello’s to flavor and color you MMF. Melt a large, 6 oz box, of Jello Mix into a small bowl with a few Tbsp hot water and add to the melted marshmallow’s. Or you can also use Candy Melts. I haven't used the melts yet I am eager to give it a try soon.

3) Dark colors become darker over time, so be sure to give yourself 2-3 days to get the shade you need and to allow the colors to mature completely.

4) Red MMF: As difficult as everyone says it is to make red, I am glad to say that I have succeeded (see Ferrari Cake). How? When the marshmallows are melted, add 1 large box (6 oz) of Strawberry Jello and stir really well (work fast, you don’t want the marshmallow’s to cool down before adding the PS). This gives the MMF a pink base to start with. Then added a ½ oz of the Wilton No Taste Red to it. Kneed in the PS and add more of the red coloring a little at a time. Don’t worry if it is not very red; Dark colors darken over time. Coat the dough with shortening, wrap tightly and store in an airtight container. Let it sit overnight. On the following day, knead the dough more and add more red as needed. For the red on the Ferrari Cake, I made the MMF 3 days ahead, kneaded more red into it on day 2 and let it just sit and rest until I used it on day 3. It smelled and tasted deliciously like strawberry jello!

Ferrari Cake - covered the board with fondant to look like leather seats with seams down the sides.
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/

Keegan Luvs Cake said:
This was from Sugar Sweet Cakes & Treats: She was awesome to share this. You can become a fan on Facebook to see the red Ferrari cake.

- 2 Tbsp Water

Directions:

1) Coat a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp shortening, add marshmallows, sprinkle with water.

3) Microwave for 30 sec intervals, stirring really well with the spatula in between each interval. DO NOT microwave for more than 3 intervals (it will break down the marshmallows and you end up with a ton of air bubbles in your finished product). Stirring really well will help distribute the heat and melt the marshmallows thoroughly.

4) If needed, add any flavoring or color to the melted marshmallows (see Hints below). You can always add more coloring to it as you are kneading in the PS so don’t worry if you don’t get the color you want initially.

5) Grease a table or counter top really well with shortening and add ½ of the PS onto it. Create a well in the PS and pour the melted marshmallows into it. Grease your hands with a thick coating of shortening and knead the powdered sugar into the melted marshmallows (work fast, you don’t want the marshmallow to cool and see Hint #1 below).

6) Keep rubbing more shortening into your hands as needed. Add more powdered sugar and keep kneading until it forms a smooth ball of dough and is no longer sticky (feels a lot like play dough). Coat the dough really well with a thick coating of shortening, cover in saran wrap tightly, cover again in a 2nd layer of saran wrap and store in an air tight container or Zip Lock Bag overnight (sugar incorporates and any lumps melt away).

7) Knead again until soft before using it: If too dry, add a few drops of water or if sticky, add more PS.

Notes:

1) I have never used the entire 2 lbs of Powdered Sugar. Depending on the weather and humidity, I use anywhere from 1-1/2 lbs to 1-3/4 lbs.

2) Optional: When making colored MMF, add a tsp of Corn Syrup to the MMF as you are kneading in the PS. It makes it more pliable especially if you make darker colors. When I make white, I don’t find a need to add the Corn Syrup.

3) You can store the MMF at room temperate for about 3 months, in the fridge for a couple months or in the freezer for a very long time. Just keep it wrapped and let it come to room temperature before using it. If really hard, zap in microwave for about 10 secs to soften it slightly then knead by hand.

4) You can make the MMF by using a powerful Kitchen Aide (KA) with a dough hook, coat bowl and hook really well with shortening. I personally like doing it by hand; you can feel if the dough is the right consistency. When I've used the KA, the PS gets compacted along the bottom and sides of the bowl which I have to scrap off leaving large lumps of PS in the MMF...not good, plus more dishes to wash after wards.

5) If the MMF is too stretchy, let it sit uncovered for about 5 minutes to cool down and settle a bit, you may have overworked it and got it too warm. Also, MMF will take more PS if too warm so don't add more than the 2 lbs or else you'll end up with a big, lumpy, crumbly ball once completely cooled.

Hints:

1) Don’t dig your hands into the melted marshmallows or else you will get a big, sticky mess on thy fingers. You want to FOLD the PS into the melted marshmallows and after doing this a couple times, you will be able to handle the marshmallows without it sticking like glue to your fingers. If you do get a sticky mess on the hands, rub them with PS and it will peel right off.

2) Use flavored jello’s to flavor and color you MMF. Melt a large, 6 oz box, of Jello Mix into a small bowl with a few Tbsp hot water and add to the melted marshmallow’s. Or you can also use Candy Melts. I haven't used the melts yet I am eager to give it a try soon.

3) Dark colors become darker over time, so be sure to give yourself 2-3 days to get the shade you need and to allow the colors to mature completely.

4) Red MMF: As difficult as everyone says it is to make red, I am glad to say that I have succeeded (see Ferrari Cake). How? When the marshmallows are melted, add 1 large box (6 oz) of Strawberry Jello and stir really well (work fast, you don’t want the marshmallow’s to cool down before adding the PS). This gives the MMF a pink base to start with. Then added a ½ oz of the Wilton No Taste Red to it. Kneed in the PS and add more of the red coloring a little at a time. Don’t worry if it is not very red; Dark colors darken over time. Coat the dough with shortening, wrap tightly and store in an airtight container. Let it sit overnight. On the following day, knead the dough more and add more red as needed. For the red on the Ferrari Cake, I made the MMF 3 days ahead, kneaded more red into it on day 2 and let it just sit and rest until I used it on day 3. It smelled and tasted deliciously like strawberry jello!

Ferrari Cake - covered the board with fondant to look like leather seats with seams down the sides.
WOW...jello.Guess I will try that
Thanks for the information I will have try the jello sound very yummy.

Keegan Luvs Cake said:
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/

Keegan Luvs Cake said:

- 2 Tbsp Water

Directions:

Notes:

Hints:

I bet Kool-aid would work too. Look at all the color possibilities!
I used fondant (white) and added black food coloring (the kind you get at the gorcery store) and I had to add a lot of it, but it turned very black and was fine. I used gloves when I mixed the black coloring in the white fondant and kneeded it by hand. I had to do it two or three times ( add the black coloring) before it took. The fondant looked purple the first round of mixing.
Interesting thread. I wonder for those using food coloring - would the professsional powdered colors be more intense than gels, or the other way around?
looks pretty close!!! I am still too lazy to make my own. :-)))

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service