Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hey ladies i need your expertise, i have a cake i want to make the person wants black fondant my question is if im using mmf how to get it black or should i just go with buying black fondant because i heard trying to make black  fondant from home is useless...

Views: 724

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've used this one before and it tastes really good:

True Black MMF
Ingredients
•6 oz. of semi sweet chocolate chips (about half of a bag)
1 bag of mini marshmallows 16 oz
2 tbsp. of clear Karo syrup
3 tbsp. water
1 1lb. bag of powdered sugar
gel black food coloring
Crisco

Instructions
Put your marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl, add the water, and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir mixture, and microwave for another minute. When marshmallows come out they will be HOT, stir again, scraping the sides with a scraper. Immerdiately add your chocolate chips, and stir until the chips are completely melted. Add your karo syrup and stir again this time with a butter knife, making sure that all of your syrup is incorporated. Add a good amount of black gel food coloring, and stir again with your knife, making sure that you scrape around the edges. Once your mixture is the blackest black that you can get, (I added about 1-2 tsp. of the gel coloring) then add about half of your bag of powdered sugar, and stir until the mixture is thick, with your knife. Grease your hands liberally with Crisco and add the rest of the powdered sugar* to the bowl. Knead your fondant until all of the powdered sugar is gone. Store for up to a month wrapped in plastic wrap, sealed in a gallon Ziploc, and stored in an airtight container.

3.*Depending on the humidity in your area it might take a little more powdered sugar, or even a little less to get the consistancy of fondant.
I use Satin Ice Black for all my black cakes and love it. It works up very nicely and the cakes are all even colored. I hate making anything red or black so I always buy it already mixed.
I do the same as Jeri. Trying to color fondant black makes me wanna scream. I mean it can be done but its a lot of hard work, so I just buy my favorite brand Satin Ice and call it a day.

If you want to try making it you could start with making brown fondant, a really dark brown and then add black gel paste to it until you get the color you want. Its A LOT OF WORK, FOR REAL!
OKay i'm convinced im buying black fondant if i had the time i would make it but if its a lot of work im buying but i am going to keep the recipe to give it a try oned day...Thanx everyone xoxo
I buy my black and red fondant as well. I was using Satin Ice, but recently tried Fondarific and liked it sooooo much better! It doesn't dry out as quickly or crack as much as the Satin Ice.
I agree with Sonia! True Black MMF is awesome! I thought my Satin was still good but it was purple so I made it the MMF recipe because it would never get here in time and it was very black.
I also came across a fabulous red MMF too.

Keegan Luvs Cake said:
I agree with Sonia! True Black MMF is awesome! I thought my Satin was still good but it was purple so I made it the MMF recipe because it would never get here in time and it was very black.
You know me too well.... I just hate making my own fondant.... I always buy Satin Ice. Have tried other brands but keep going back to SI! I admire those who want to go the extra mile and make your own... I just don't have the time or maybe I would! I coat my hands in crisco as I knead the black or most any color that seems dry and it works into the fondant and makes it more elastic. And I always roll it out on my Ateco mat... my best friend!

Keegan Luvs Cake said:
I also came across a fabulous red MMF too.

Keegan Luvs Cake said:
I also make the same recipe Sonia posted. The chocolate makes it easy to work with and the sheen is out of this world! It's well worth the effort.
Okay ladies i love everyones idea i think im going to try to make it to try ahead of time i have time now since im home more and it will be something great to practice before I actually have to make the cake but if i find it hard off to buying i am going lol..Thank you so much ladies you all are so helpful im so hooked to doing cakes now im on my way up to where you ladies are lol..
Good luck Shay! If I can do it so can you! I'd post that cake but was yet another disaster! The black MMF was perfect however I struggled with the funky letter tappits and my car fell apart. I can post the red if you like. It's from another site. People on here are much more willing to help and give advice which is awesome! It reminds me ITO R.I.P! I met Jeri from there she is the best! :)
Kelly... you are too sweet!!! I still am too lazy to make my own fondant so you are better!!!!

Keegan Luvs Cake said:
Good luck Shay! If I can do it so can you! I'd post that cake but was yet another disaster! The black MMF was perfect however I struggled with the funky letter tappits and my car fell apart. I can post the red if you like. It's from another site. People on here are much more willing to help and give advice which is awesome! It reminds me ITO R.I.P! I met Jeri from there she is the best! :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service