Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Better White Scratch Cake - Dubbed as the scratch version of WASC

Copied from Cake Central via edencakes

This recipe has been slowly modified by me until I reached something I was quite happy with. Perfect for wedding cakes, birthday cakes and cupcakes, this recipe is very easy to adjust into any flavor you want. I’ve added: orange juice (subbed for some liquid), instant chai tea powder, peanut butter – you name it! Always a very moist, fine texture, but sturdy enough for wedding and sculpted cakes.

A Better White Scratch Cake

Ingredients

• 5 c cake flour
    3 1/3 c sugar
    2 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp salt
    2 1/2 c milk
    1 1/3 c shortening
    16oz sour cream
    1 Tbsp vanilla or almond extract
    10 egg whites (or 10oz carton egg whites)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven. Prepare your pans as you normally would.

2. Sift dry ingredients together into mixer bowl.
  3. Add everything but egg whites and mix just until combined. Beat on high for 2 minutes, turn down mixer and add egg whites, return to high and beat for another 2 minutes.
  4. Pour into pans and bake.
  5. This recipe makes 10 cups of batter, but can be halved or doubled (if your mixer can handle it).

Views: 4956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like to come along with that thanks for the sharing this recipe..

If I may ask why Egg whites and not whole eggs?

Probably because it keeps it white. Feel free to use the whole egg but you may need to reduce the number of eggs.

Deah said:

Probably because it keeps it white. Feel free to use the whole egg but you may need to reduce the number of eggs.

Meera said:

Hey Deah,

So last night I was totally in the mood to make this receipe. And I did. I halved the receipe. When the cake came out of the oven, it did not rise at all....and it tasted off. I'm not sure why. This was my receipe:

2.5 c cake flour (Robin Hood all purpose flour)
1 2/3 c sugar
1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 c milk (1%)
2/3 c shortening (crisco)
8 oz sour cream (low fat)
1/2 Tbsp vanilla
5 egg whites (or 10oz carton egg whites)

I baked it at 350degrees for about 1/2 hour. I'm not sure went wrong...receipe measurements? Ingredients? baking time? The sides of the cake were hard, the inside was moist but i wasn't confident that it fully baked inside.

Any thoughts?

I don't think your cooking time was acurate enough. Usually cakes that are dense like this take much longer. I usually bake mine at 325 degrees and depending on pan size can bake for 45min to over an hour.  Also heat cones in the middle of the cake help. I use metal flower nails for even heat distribution since the middle of the cake stays pretty moist.

Meera,

Maggie's sweet creations said:

I don't think your cooking time was acurate enough. Usually cakes that are dense like this take much longer. I usually bake mine at 325 degrees and depending on pan size can bake for 45min to over an hour.  Also heat cones in the middle of the cake help. I use metal flower nails for even heat distribution since the middle of the cake stays pretty moist.

I loved your cakes, you did a wonderful job!

Diana Viera said:

Deah ~ I needed to comment on your recipe above. It is absolutely delicious!!! I made the attached cake for my Fondant and Tiered Cakes ~ Wilton 3 course and used your recipe above for the bottom tier and also a WASC chocolate version for the top tier. Both cakes were fantastic and I had enough left over (2 8" cakes) to make another cake for today, which is also posted below. The second cake I ended up torting both cakes and did one chocolate, the next vanilla, chocolate then vanilla. It was very good.

Thank you for posting the above recipe! It will be up there with my favs:D
I have to include the WASC chocolate recipe in that category also.

You said you made a chocolate cake, what recipe did you use? I'd like to make one from scratch if you have a recipe that holds up to fondant, I would love to use it. Thank you very much.

Why egg whites?

History Lesson:

The Original WASC

kakeladi version with whole eggs

1 box cake mix .....1 cup flour 

1 cup sugar ..... generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream .....1 cup water

3 whole eggs ..... 1 tablespoon flavoring

{this is the one in the Forums recipe section}

Scratch "Original WASC" yellow cake 

seriouscakes recipe

2 3/4 c. all purpose flour  .....3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt .....1 c. shortening

2 c. sugar  ..... 4 large eggs

2 tsp. vanilla ..... 1 3/4 c. milk  

WASC

Rebecca Sutterby with egg whites

2 boxes white cake mix

4 Tbls. oil  ..... 2 2/3 cups water

2 cups all-purpose flour  ..... 2 cups sugar

1 1/2 teas. salt  ..... 8 egg whites

16oz sour cream  ..... 2 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor

2 teaspoons almond extract

Scratch "WASC white" Cake

edencakes recipe

5 c cake flour  ..... 3 1/3 c sugar

7 tsp baking powder ..... 2 tsp salt

2 1/2 c milk  ..... 1 1/3 c shortening

16oz sour cream  ..... 1 Tbsp vanilla or almond extract

10 egg whites

Currently, Rebecca Sutterby's version using egg whites [based on a boxed white cake] is the one that is most commonly quoted, but kakeladi version 's using whole eggs pre-dates it. Both, of course are based on "extended" or "doctored" cake mixes.

Delightfully Dense Chocolate Cake US

1 cup butter ..... 2 cups sugar

3 eggs ..... 2 teaspoons vanilla

3 cups flour ..... 2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt ..... 1 cup buttermilk

6 tablespoons cocoa in 1 cup boiling water or coffee

Measure all ingredients into mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer, beginning on low setting, and increasing speed until batter is of smooth consistency. Pour into either 9x13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick tests clean [35-40 minutes?]

Rich chocolate cake Australian

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/163/rich+chocolate+cake

200g dark chocolate, melted

200g butter ..... 1 cup dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract ..... 3 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour ..... 3 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt ..... 2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1/2 cup milk

> 250ml metric cup is used as is 20ml tablespoon

1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line base and side of a 6cm deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.

2. Place chocolate in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.

3. Using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add melted chocolate. Beat until well combined. Sift flour and cocoa together. Fold half the flour mixture into butter mixture. Add half the milk. Stir gently to combine. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

4. Stand cake in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

T

hank you I'll try it.

suziq auzzi said:

Delightfully Dense Chocolate Cake US

1 cup butter ..... 2 cups sugar

3 eggs ..... 2 teaspoons vanilla

3 cups flour ..... 2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt ..... 1 cup buttermilk

6 tablespoons cocoa in 1 cup boiling water or coffee

Measure all ingredients into mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer, beginning on low setting, and increasing speed until batter is of smooth consistency. Pour into either 9x13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick tests clean [35-40 minutes?]

Rich chocolate cake Australian

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/163/rich+chocolate+cake

200g dark chocolate, melted

200g butter ..... 1 cup dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract ..... 3 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour ..... 3 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt ..... 2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1/2 cup milk

> 250ml metric cup is used as is 20ml tablespoon

1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line base and side of a 6cm deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.

2. Place chocolate in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.

3. Using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add melted chocolate. Beat until well combined. Sift flour and cocoa together. Fold half the flour mixture into butter mixture. Add half the milk. Stir gently to combine. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

4. Stand cake in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service