Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Better White Scratch Cake - Dubbed as the scratch version of WASC

Copied from Cake Central via edencakes

This recipe has been slowly modified by me until I reached something I was quite happy with. Perfect for wedding cakes, birthday cakes and cupcakes, this recipe is very easy to adjust into any flavor you want. I’ve added: orange juice (subbed for some liquid), instant chai tea powder, peanut butter – you name it! Always a very moist, fine texture, but sturdy enough for wedding and sculpted cakes.

A Better White Scratch Cake

Ingredients

• 5 c cake flour
    3 1/3 c sugar
    2 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp salt
    2 1/2 c milk
    1 1/3 c shortening
    16oz sour cream
    1 Tbsp vanilla or almond extract
    10 egg whites (or 10oz carton egg whites)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven. Prepare your pans as you normally would.

2. Sift dry ingredients together into mixer bowl.
  3. Add everything but egg whites and mix just until combined. Beat on high for 2 minutes, turn down mixer and add egg whites, return to high and beat for another 2 minutes.
  4. Pour into pans and bake.
  5. This recipe makes 10 cups of batter, but can be halved or doubled (if your mixer can handle it).

Views: 4956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Deah ~ I needed to comment on your recipe above. It is absolutely delicious!!! I made the attached cake for my Fondant and Tiered Cakes ~ Wilton 3 course and used your recipe above for the bottom tier and also a WASC chocolate version for the top tier. Both cakes were fantastic and I had enough left over (2 8" cakes) to make another cake for today, which is also posted below. The second cake I ended up torting both cakes and did one chocolate, the next vanilla, chocolate then vanilla. It was very good.

Thank you for posting the above recipe! It will be up there with my favs:D
I have to include the WASC chocolate recipe in that category also.
Attachments:
Diana - great to know this recipe was a success. Your cakes look wonderful, too.
I can't wait to try both versions of this recipe! I enjoy experimenting with flavors. Can this be used fir liquer cakes as well?
I don't know, Daisy. Experiment and let us know.
Hey Deah,

Just wondering if i wanted to make a small batch of this batter, how do I go about doing so? I wanted to just try the receipe and cake out...any thoughts?

Thanks,
Meera
Meera, I haven't made this recipe but the last line says it can be halved. You'd just have to do the math. Diana made the full recipe a while back and she really liked it.

Meera said:
Hey Deah,

Just wondering if i wanted to make a small batch of this batter, how do I go about doing so? I wanted to just try the receipe and cake out...any thoughts?

Thanks,
Meera
Hey Deah,

So last night I was totally in the mood to make this receipe. And I did. I halved the receipe. When the cake came out of the oven, it did not rise at all....and it tasted off. I'm not sure why. This was my receipe:

2.5 c cake flour (Robin Hood all purpose flour)
1 2/3 c sugar
1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 c milk (1%)
2/3 c shortening (crisco)
8 oz sour cream (low fat)
1/2 Tbsp vanilla
5 egg whites (or 10oz carton egg whites)

I baked it at 350degrees for about 1/2 hour. I'm not sure went wrong...receipe measurements? Ingredients? baking time? The sides of the cake were hard, the inside was moist but i wasn't confident that it fully baked inside.

Any thoughts?
Meera, I'm not a scratch baker but my first thought was your milk and sour cream - both low fat. I substitute fat free milk all the time instead of whole milk or low fat sour cream for regular but I haven't substituted both in baking. I wonder if the 2 low fat substitutions are enough to throw off the chemistry. Also, I noticed you used AP flour instead of cake flour. That could cause the failure also. Cake flour is finer than regular flour so it creates a lighter cake.

Cake flour conversion - one cup less 2 Tablespoons of regular flour for every cup of cakeregular flour called for in the recipe.

Maybe Diana will chime in here. I know she's made this recipe.
I can't wait to try this recipe. I have been trying to figure out a scratch WASC cake and have not been able to get it right. I will be trying this for sure! Thank you.
hi how long do you cook this cake for and at what tempature?

Thank you for this recipe, I'd  like to know how to make it chocolate. Thank you

Debbee, this is the only way I've seen this recipe.  Most times you can alter them for different flavors.  See what you can do with it and let us know. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service