Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I recently came across this recipe and decided to make it for a baby shower this weekend.  I did not use the pan in the recipe.  I made a very high six inch cake and had some leftover batter which I made a 8 inch approx 2 in height.  I have included the recipe for the frosting but I used dulche de leche SMBC.  I also filled it with chocolate truffle filling.  If anyone is interested in that recipe, let me know.  This banana cake is very very moist.

Update:  While trying to get the metric measurements for Katy, I found this http://dessert.food.com/recipe/best-ever-banana-cake-with-cream-che...

I guess this is where the original recipe is from and gives you the ability to use metric measurements.

Ingredients:

Serves: 16

Yield:

Yield1.0

Yield

•  

9x13 pan

Update

9x13 pan

Units: US | Metric

Frosting

Garnish

Directions:

1. 1
    Preheat oven to 275°.  (I actually baked it at 300)
  2. 2
    Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
  3. 3
    In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
  4. 4
    In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  5. 5
    In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
  6. 6
    Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
  7. 7
    Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
  8. 8
    Stir in banana mixture.
  9. 9
    Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  10. 10
    Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
  11. 11
    For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
  12. 12
    Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
  13. 13
    Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
  14. 14
    Spread on cooled cake.
  15. 15
    Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.

Views: 572

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Goreti, I'm letting you know, I need the chocolate truffle filling recipe.  I never did much baking before, so do not have any of these recipes you guys are so familiar with.  Please?! 

Just posted the recipe.

This is the same recipe I made G, with addition of cherries in the batter. But title says "pudding", so I thought I missed something. I was beginning to think I missed adding a pkg of pudding??

No, you didn't miss anything June.  The cake is called banana pudding cake.  I think it's because you mash the bananas but it doesn't actually take pudding.  I think I will remove it from the title so no one is confused.

Saw you did....good idea. It was kinda confusing. Whew....I thought I screwed up!!

This sounds very similar to the Hummingbird Cake Betty and I were talking about.  Can't wait to try it!  Thanks.

thanks Goreti - might be time to get my American measuring cups out of the back of the cupboard!

Katy-This would be a very good reason to get them out.  Really loved this one.

I've only used them once Goreti and the resulting cake was really not to my liking.  So I don't know if it was the recipe or inaccurate measuring on my part as it's a completely alien concept to me!  Made me a little nervous of trying them again as I hate failures and the waste of ingredients they involve!

You have a bunch of yankee friends, Katy, so if you have doubts, give us a shout!  (Oh, I think I made a rhyme)

Hey Katy....I made your Victoria sponge and I had to use my metric measures. Worked out great. With a recipe like this, you could be off 2-3 ml, or 120 ml and it wouldn't throw off your recipe.

ok guys got it.  Consider the gauntlet thrown!  Won't be for a while as I have Jose's birthday cake to do next week.  Then there's a whole mess of stuff going on here that may preclude baking.  Plus Mick doesn't like bananas.... tricky!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service