Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Pinned Image

THIS IS NOT MY CAKE!!!

Has anyone seen a tutorial on this one?  Or do you have an idea on how to do this? 

I'm assuming that the head is a styrofoam ball.  My concern is keeping the lid on the box.

Views: 1330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Deah, any luck in finding a tutorial for this cake??

No, haven't found one yet but Katarzyna Olejarczyk told me she put the lid on hers just before presenting the cake.  She did not transport it with the lid in place.  Also, the head is a styrofoam ball.  Based on that info I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

That's great info!  Is the lid cake as well??  If so, how would you hold it up? Is it just a matter of using dowels as support?

You know, I just assumed the lid was a single layer of cake.  That may be a bad assumption.  I'll probably use a wedge as support on the back part of the lid.  Between dowels, the head and the wedge it should be OK.

I just went back & read Katarzyna's  notes on the cake Deah. I do believe she said the "lid" is not cake, but a piece of heavy cardboard she covered in fondant. I read the note twice, and that is my understanding of it.

Haha!  Prime example of how we read things differently.  I just read her comment again and I read it as a cake sitting on a cakeboard.  I've left a message and asked her to clarify that for us.  Hopefully, we'll know soon.

Yup, I am confused????  Glad you are getting info clarified.

Thanks Deah! Really appreciate you following up!! :) I'm really looking forward to doing this cake for my best friends baby shower!!!

Deah... I just did a cake like this for our grand son in October!  I thought I posted pictures but might have missed getting them uploaded with moving and all.  I made the head out of solid gumpaste and made it a couple weeks ahead so it set up hard before putting the cake together.  The rest was easy I am attaching a picture of the cake that I did...let me know if you need any other info.  As for the lid... mine is solid cake on a double layer cake board.  I put a dowel in the back of the cake that did stick out above the botom layer to keep the lid from slipping off the back of the cake.  I covered it with one of the fondant blankets.  And I put 2 more dowels about an inch or so apart to support the back of the lid.  It really was not all that hard and was fun to do.

Attachments:

Katarzyna replied and said her lid is cake on a cakeboard.

Jerri, thanks for the dowel placement advice.  That is what I will do.   Your cake turned out great.

I just caught up my photos... I did not realize how far behind I was!  I have my blog caught up now too.. Moving really threw me behind!

I need a pintrest invite!  DeliciousDessertsSC@yahoo.com.  Oh I would so appreciate it!

The lid is held in place with a dowel.  In the one I saw, the head was a cake ball.  the dowel goes through he bottom board holding the lid, the cake head, & the cake.  A second dowel, located at the very back goes through the bottom of the lid & the cake.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service