Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I'm going to be doing a baby shower cake.  A sheet cake with three blocks on top with the baby's initials on each block.  The last baby shower cake I did was for about 45 people and I made a 11 x 15 sheet cake.  There was plenty to go around and a little extra left over.  This shower will be the same at about 45 people.  My dilemma is trying to determine how big to make the cake and then how big to make the blocks so they don't look out of proportion....does anyone have any advice, suggestions or tips for me?

Thanks all!
Maureen

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would make the blocks out of a 50/50 gum paste-fondant mixture instead of cake - that way you can make them what ever size you want.
You could make them out of Rice Krispie Treats and cover them in Fondant or Modeling Chocolate. They would not be as heavy and the RKT cut down nicely if you get them too big at first. You could also bake the 4" cakes in the 4" pans and use them if you want extra cake. I am not sure how big you want your blocks.
That's what I'm trying to figure out, how big to make the sheet cake and then how big to make the blocks on top...It's difficult when I'm not sure where to start!
If you're making the blocks out of something other than cake, as others have suggested, then the same size sheet cake should do.

Maureen said:
That's what I'm trying to figure out, how big to make the sheet cake and then how big to make the blocks on top...It's difficult when I'm not sure where to start!
Well it's finished, and I mean that in every way possible! This cake was for our Pastor's daughters baby shower, There were about 30 people in attendance out of the 50 expected, I made a 11 x 15 and did the RKT for the blocks. The Pastor told me I might have to make another one simply because he didn't even get any crumbs! I just posted a picture. Thanks for all the advice! Am now designing my next cake for a friends birthday...this is sooooo much fun!!!! I finally figured out what I want to do when I grow up!!!!!! =)
Great Job Maureen! Glad it all worked out!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service