Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

My client wants a working campfire on a hunting cake.  Yes, I know...

Her other alternative was 120 candles.  Either way, we've got fire.

So, my first thought was sinking a can of gel sterno but I don't wish to poison anyone OR burn down the restaurant. 

Any pyrotechnique pros out there?   Help!

Views: 385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about using a tea light candle.  Here is an example...

http://www.cakeswebake.com/photo/candle-cake-005
Oh, thank goodness you're just looking for advice. When I clicked on the post, I thought you had a fire. Glad everything's okay :)
So sorry...didn't mean to give you a start.  I think I have settled on sinking a small candle in a glass votive holder so that I can be sure it is sanitary and there is no cause for contamination.  I really don't want it to be "spectacular" in a dangerous way.  I am going to make a mold of a deer rifle bullet and try to create some bullet candles as well.  Those can be tested before trying them out on the cake.  I think that should work.  I don't think I would be comfortable using a tea light in it's metal case directly in cake.
all u would need to do is line the tealit candle in a layer of foundant/paste let it dry out till hard, then u have a safe barrier between cake and candle. (in effect I mean make a holder.  also if you trim a few birthday candles and insert them into surrounding wax on tea lite will give u more of an effect than one single flame.

L Welch said:
So sorry...didn't mean to give you a start.  I think I have settled on sinking a small candle in a glass votive holder so that I can be sure it is sanitary and there is no cause for contamination.  I really don't want it to be "spectacular" in a dangerous way.  I am going to make a mold of a deer rifle bullet and try to create some bullet candles as well.  Those can be tested before trying them out on the cake.  I think that should work.  I don't think I would be comfortable using a tea light in it's metal case directly in cake.
Awesome campfire!

Eileen S said:

Thanks everyone!  Great ideas.  I like the idea of inserting some extra candles for multiple flames.  Hadn't thought of it and I was not happy with the idea of a single flame.  Thanks K - brillient!  

Ellen, your campfire links were great.  That's one less design item I have to rack my brain over.  Thank you.

I just finished molding 40 deer rifle bullets out of fondant.  I made a mold of one using Amazing Putty and it worked great.  I'll let them dry for a couple of days before painting them to look real.  The cake is for triplet brothers who love to go hunting together.  It is their 40th birthday cake.

I can't wait to see the finished cake!

L Welch said:

Thanks everyone!  Great ideas.  I like the idea of inserting some extra candles for multiple flames.  Hadn't thought of it and I was not happy with the idea of a single flame.  Thanks K - brillient!  

Ellen, your campfire links were great.  That's one less design item I have to rack my brain over.  Thank you.

I just finished molding 40 deer rifle bullets out of fondant.  I made a mold of one using Amazing Putty and it worked great.  I'll let them dry for a couple of days before painting them to look real.  The cake is for triplet brothers who love to go hunting together.  It is their 40th birthday cake.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service